About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

7.07.2010

Snake Trax, new vehicles, Scrap Iron, etc...

added a new "review" over at JBL. check it out!
http://joebattlelines.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=16133

For a guy who seriously weeded through his loose GIJoe collection, and is still kind of thinking of sending a few more vehicles out the door, buying the SNAKE TRAX at Target wasn't very helpful.

The new vehicles out on the shelves and the ones coming soon are really getting me excited.

The figures, for the most part, are not really catching my interest at all. I mentioned getting the SNAKE TRAX at Target and that was packaged with Scrap-Iron. Now, I really dig Scrap-Iron as a character, but I feel bad that 25 years later he's still looking the same several times over with only one wild "DTC" change. But what really sucked about Scrap-Iron in this package for me is that one of his legs is glued from the hips through the upper thighs! Any torso twisting pops his vest snappers apart. Well, that does not say "action," to me.

The Snake Trax is decent enough. I had 2 each of the convention 2006 Ferrets and two Canadian mail-away blue Ferrets at one point. It seemed like getting an all-Cobra-blue force wasn't going to happen so I sent those blue ferrets away. And then I tried trading the Coil's green Ferrets to get 2 more Skull Squad blue-ish Ferrets. That didn't work, and very few people seemed to want to trade those...and I wasn't buying them at ebay prices. So they all ended up getting traded...and the the other end got the better deal in my opinion on that one.

But, I saw Snake Trax pictures before a lot of this happened. I was very interested in the rusty brown color. I wanted to army build these, the missile launcher is a tad over-sized, but that helps me imagine a sneaky tank-killer 4-wheeler better. I'm not sure about the old hose-to-cannon becoming an antenna (?).

Otherwise, I'd still like to build up a few of these. Where at one point I was thinking the Stinger was the better option, or the Desert Scorpion the only other option, for Cobra ground forces to have a "jeep." Well, I think the Ferret flew under my radar as more than just an ATV, where I think this could be a great utility (jeep) vehicle. It is large, and the additional front brush guard and pretend winch make it seem like the better "all-terrain" choice. Both the Stinger and Ferret seat 2 comfortably as I see it, too. Plus, a small ATV is going to make a harder target.

I'm thinking Motor-Vipers are going to man these. While I don't dislike the STUN too much, it was one of the vehicles that I was able to part with even before I figured out I had too many vehicles. I mean, when I look at a picture from about 1999-2000, I had TWO of these...and I'm not exactly sure if I traded them in at a local store or what now that I think about it.

Either way, I'm thinking the Motor-Vipers are more a type of mounted infantry, or mechanized infantry. Light, fast, armed. Probably not as well suited to intense drawn-out ground operations like a Viper, and not just mere drivers. I think they are overly suited for mere Stinger driving, too...Motor Vipers sort of remind me of a cross between the street bike and moto-cross guys...wild and thrill-seeking!