About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

11.13.2019

Post #3 this year or I did a G.I.Joe thing today, with updates a day later.

Some people might go to the face book and show pictures their lunch, I will show you what I bought during lunch time today.  Even though I was not out for lunch.

So, as real life continues to impact and evolve around the HQ, this week is a "vacation" week for me, or as "vacation" as it is going to get.   With no HQ outer shell projects planned for this year and everything as squared away for winter as it is going to get, I thought I would trim out some "modern" G.I.Joe stuff that isn't bringing much joy.  With a new collectibles store in town, just around the corner, and nothing to do, I made this store my destination.

Of course, trading in stuff, is never going pay off for maximum profit, this is something I expect, but I hope the few items will be able to make their way into someone else's collectible play world in the end.  What went out?   The Fangboat, Silent Strike set and the Acid Rain figure, the "kids" Eaglehawk (a second one that lost its ramp....), and the G.v.C.  Rockslide.    And some random odds and ends.    But even being "modern," or from my so-called adult years, there is still a strange feeling of some sentiment towards these that wasn't really there until it hit me just now that they are gone.  But also, a few things that won't be just sitting there in the basement.   Plus, these vehicles will go along with loose modern figures that are already at the shop.

Surprisingly a G.I.Joe collection was recently bought and just being sorted as I got to the store.  One of those just sorted out and just pricing it up sort of things; the sort of situation that I have never run across before.   I had a sort of side-hope that some new G.I.Joe thing that would be perfect for my collection would be at this store, but didn't expect this.   And it wasn't a "perfect" (for me) selection of stuff, either, strangely no vehicles at all despite an apparent inclusion of vehicle missiles and very mint vehicle driver figures in this collection.   (and we are talking more uncommon and large vehicles, here....so, these matching vehicles are out there somewhere, maybe nearby....)



The figures, however, maybe 40-50, maybe a little more, with the exception of just a few, were all very mint condition.   This was not expected today.   Of course, I am still on the path of smaller collection, but to have such nice condition figures right there made for a fun "vacation" activity, and it was very nice to chat with the shop owner for a few hours, too.  


So, what did I choose.  Well, here are the figures I picked out.  Nothing really rare or uncommon but all very nice condition figures.   And I mean the paint is still dark on the Iron Grenadiers shoulder rivets nice.   Or, the Python Vipers knees felt like I just took it off the card nice.   










Track Viper, at $12.99 is a figure that will add to Cobra for me.  I've been wanting more Track Vipers for awhile.



Motor Viper is dead mint at $9.99 and a core figure for Cobra here.   One of my original guys and something I want to add to.




The Python Viper is my very first Python Patrol anything.   At $39.99, this was one of the higher prices I've ever paid for a figure.   I can't stress how mint this figure is and it is not a figure that I had in mind for my collection at all, but I bought it.  Maybe I can trade someone towards a preferred 1986 Viper in the future?  I don't see me getting many more of these.



W.O.R.M.s., at $14.99, I should have maybe passed on.  No antenna but super good shape, maybe better shape than the three I used to have.   But as an army builder or that single officer vehicle role, there might be something.




Airborne was one of those figures that were sometimes close to making my final team cut years ago.  I think the all "sub-teams out" rule I had in my head might have cut him.  Originally, I think this was one of those highest paid dollar figures for that first one I had years ago, this guy was $19.99.   I was thinking that the absence of 1986 Lift Ticket here and now would allow for Airborne to get into some aircraft role, something that would benefit my small G.I.Joe team, as well as bringing the "medic" role to the field.




I think this Night Force Shockwave is the most I have paid for a figure, at $99.99.   It's a new record that I can't hardly believe I just set for a G.I.Joe figure.   With Night Force in general being listed high on the ebay, examples of the backpack alone going for as high as $50, I wasn't keen on the price, but the shop, and this is a local brick and mortar shop, is the part that makes me not feel as bad about this price.  However, as much as I dig my Shockwave, and don't want an all dark and dreary looking G.I.Joe team, the Night Force Shockwave is a figure that I have been contemplating for some time to replace my guy in light blue.   And, I got to see the excellent condition this figure is in in person, vs, trusting an ebay picture.   There are three other mint complete Night Force figures there, too.  I was thinking about the Night Force Muskrat but considering Muskrat is a pretty good 1988 figure I don't know if the Night Force version would add anything much better. 




Surprise, another Iron Grenadier in the HQ.   Bet you didn't see that coming.  Once again, I can't stress how out-of-the-package fresh most of these figures at the store are.  No red pistol, which I am not a fan of, but at $17.99, this was definitely a little high, but no hand-drip wear on accessory handles, and well.... more Iron Grenadiers for the Iron Grenadiers.




The cheapest at $9.99 and the most weird choice is the B.A.A.T. here, it really is.  It's like, hey, there's 5 "army builders," a couple more uncommon G.I.Joe figures, and the ArmorTech B.A.A.T..   But, Icebreaker, you don't spring loaded weapons, and you got out of the B.A.T.-business, and you don't like limited articulation.   Yes.  This is true.   All of it.   The B.A.T. is a concept that as an old guy I like more but the less robotic-feel of the "oring" B.A.T.s left me wanting something that is, well, more robot.  This limited moving bulk is something between a S.N.A.K.E. and a B.A.T. to me.  It's not super mechanical but not equal in size to a "human" G.I.Joe figure, either,  essentially something I have never had my hand on before and have wanted to try out.  Surprisingly with all the accessories that would have not been deal breakers if they were not there.




So, I spent a lot more money than I thought I would today going out the door, but I was also able to move some things out the door, too.

I don't know if I want to simply just bag everything up and put it in the rubbermaid containers or if I should give all these guys the proper play adventure welcome into the HQ like I used to. 

What kind of adventure would entail all 8 of these characters?   Who on my small team would have to go to keep the roster at 28 to make room for Airborne?   Will Airborne even survive the mission to be considered for the roster?  What would cause our former Detroit cop, Shockwave, to lose the blues and get dark?   Are Cobra forces growing in number?  What is that B.A.A.T. made of, can it be stopped?

Should I go get that 1990 Night Creeper at the shop?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Update. 

So my storage box is back upstairs with my figures.   I can't remember the last time I took out my note binder where I had condensed and updated all my various notes on what would essentially be my inventory of stuff.

It looks like I haven't made many notes in the last 7 years in it.

So, all my Motor Vipers are accounted for..  Mostly.
The left Motor Viper is my original Motor Viper, or at least I marked it as.   It would have came with the STUN that was a present from an aunt.  One, I have no accounting for, maybe from my best bud from back in the day.   One I bought at Flea Market in 1995 ($1.25), another from a "for sale" ad that was selling a small bunch of toys in October 1996.

Two came from BBTS, one in June 2010 for $12.75, the other in September 2011 for $13.00.  Plus this new addition this week for $9.99.




Track Viper is now up to a crew of three.  It looks like I guessed that one came from an ebay purchase.  A second one from BBTS for $18 in February of 2012, and this weeks 2019 find.


I did a horrible job keeping track of my Iron Grenadiers.  I am at 16 here and upon inspection I can feel the o-rings getting weak on some.  
Two of these are my original off-the-peg purchases brand new.  
I wrote down an October 2008 ($15.00) and an December 2008 ($22.00) for two of these.
Two more figures I likely couldn't figure out where I bought them as I left that entry blank.
Add in another Iron Grenadier in September 2011 for $14 from BBTS.

Plus this weeks purchase puts us at eight Iron Grenadiers recorded.


With 16 figures, obviously the math doesn't add up to what you see.   Here is where I am glad I wrote something here.  I remember the 8 figure buy, and using the post date I can now record when, but I can't remember who I bought it from through ebay.  



According to the nearby shop owner, the sword was the more expensive accessory.  It's not my most desired of the three at all so that is something I will be pondering at some point.  I thought this would be a good time to see what all is in my jumbled baggie of accessories.




I put my '89/'90 Cobra roster on the same page but ran out of room in the upper '89 section on this page, so down below I added notes.
I was really surprise to see a Python Viper entry, I really don't remember getting this figure.  It came in February 2012 and I kept the order list, I also bought 8 2012 series new figures along with several older figures.  
So, I was wrong earlier in this post that the Python Viper was my first Python anything.   So much for memory.  I do know it went to Chittenango, though.   The cost is so much higher than the one I had before, though, maybe there was no rifle or backpack or both with that one?