About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

12.05.2011

Polar Battle Bear and Rockslide: Past and present

I bought this set just recently, the 2009 Past and Present set for the Polar Battle Bear and Rockslide ATAV.

I wasn't planning on doing it, but it was more for the "junior joe" in the house. We had a pretty good time last winter taking "the guy with the skis" out into the snow. (actual "ski" activity was not as much fun in the snow as I would have thought...)

But either way, I opened this thing up early, as I decided to split the pack up, and true to my own self-imposed "no-swivel head" rule, I must trade the re-molded original Snow Job out the door. And since I don't have any other of my own arctic forces left, the newly-minted Polar Battle Bear here will join the figure on the way out.

It's not that I don't like the PBB, the only other one I had ever was the "Rock Slide," but that figure bugged me, and the launcher immediately came off. It was an earlier trade-out around 2004, or even late 2005. But, really, I figure if I am not maintaining a solid winter operation "sub-team," why should I keep it? (although it would have been fun to play with it, and even army build it, to go along with what I did have...)

Anyway, the modern Rock Slide is here with modern Snow job. (Whiteout is still in the house, as he stayed with the few other modern figures I have, for the eventuality that the "junior joe" will most likely want to play with some Joes.)

I looked at buying the Rockslide when it was by itself a couple year back, but even in the clear view box, I just wasn't feeling the price was worth it. I found the Past and Present set here for $15.99. Originally, I was going to make it a "mine" and "junior joe" type of Christmas present, but I think we're just going to take the modern one out to play in the snow now.

The Rockslide is not nearly as bad as I originally thought.



The Rockslide has a nice round form, very sporty-looking. The front skids seem fairly durable with their non-removable molded mini-missiles on top of spring-fired rockets, all of which is the most unattractive looking part of the machine to me.


But then the PBB is more straight-lined looking, it has a more utilitarian form to it. Utilitarian says military to me. Plus, the PBB has the rear deck with foot pegs.
Foot pegs that are only good for the old classic ARAH Oring-style figures. So, kids that got, or get, this PBB, will have to shave the pegs down to get any use with their now-current modern GIJOE figures.
Oh, and there is a TOW HOOK. Utilitarian. Moves 3 classic GIJOE figures and tows stuff.



But, I suppose, it is apples to oranges. Even though modern Snow Job has pretty much the same accessories as his "past" counterpart. Only they are tweaked, such as the backpack peg being for the modern hole. The modern figure only ups the armament with a pistol that can go into the side holster.




The Rockslide has a very wide skid stance and much more aerodynamic body, too. The Rockslide really seems built for speed to me, just by looking at it.



One deterrent to the purchasing the Rockslide before was that I couldn't tell what was inside, or how a figure fit in there.
It seemed like the canopy didn't even lift in the pictures I was looking, and that the figure just slid into the back section somehow almost laying down.

But, the canopy does open and the interior is really pretty nice. That big solid gray painted area you see in the picture below is an area of opportunity that got missed to make this machine a good Joe vehicle, in my opinion. I mean, storage compartment? Engine hatch? Ski rack? Snow shoes?
As is, the main body of the Rockslide really ends up nicely contoured, but still just a big chunk plastic. A good looking chunk, but still...
The figure does go in all the way to sit, there is plenty of room to slide in lower into the Rockslides shell.
The Polar Battle Bear?




Sitting?


I did not know the Rockslide did this with its rear treads, though.


And the skids do steer!!! They really feel VERY sturdy, too. The Polar Battle Bear actually loses on the steering skid detail for me, here.

And ya know, I like the "sway" feature on the guns of the Polar Battle Bear, but do I really need that 30* extra range on those guns? The guns could have been fixed straight and I would have been just as happy as I think about. (I mean, just turn the machine a little?)
Rockslide wins me on the front-end skid operation, as well as the twin guns. Rockslides nose does look good...


I was surprised to find some detail on the bottom of the Rockslide, too. It could have been left smooth, but what it has really makes it more interesting. Plus, one "rolling tread wheel" is just as good as the "pair."







Overall, the Rockslide isn't too bad of a vehicle. It actually exceeded my expectations, which were not very high to begin with. Count me surprised!



See GeneralsJoes.com review!