About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

5.21.2011

Cobra HISS DTC and 1983

Above is my first HISS. Even though the Cobra HISS has been around since 1983, I didn't get this mail-in version until more around late 1991 or 1992! It's one of those iconic vehicles that the old cartoon sold me on. It was part of what I considered core Cobra vehicles: the HISS, FANG, Stinger, and ASP, for the most part.
But better late than never, right?

My "second HISS" was actually the Septic Tank, but right now I can't remember where I traded that thing off to (or where it came from). It's not that I disliked that take on the HISS, and I did get it used, but, really that big cannon was just too heavy for how it was affixed to the turret. But that's neither here nor there now.

I also had a HISS II that I bought from an older-school dealer online. It had some play wear on it, but baby blue and the kind of odd tabs and shapes on the armor just didn't catch my interest as much as I thought it would. And the rear pull-out area for the troops was a nice idea, but kind of awkward. I did very much like the drop down front seats, though, that really seems like a natural design in some ways...and could tie back to the Night Ravens cockpit. But that thing just didn't really feel like it would fit in long term for me.

As for the actual 2nd HISS, that I acquired on my obviously failed attempt to "army build" HISS vehicles, I got in a trade and I do remember where that came from. Can't remember what I traded for it, though!

I hunted for the Operation: Crimson Sabotage set, too. I wasted so much gas and time trying to get into a store to grab one or two back then. Only to wait one morning for the store to open (KB) only to find that some guy bought ALL of them the previous day. :( That's ok, though. Crimson armies aren't my thing right now.

Nowadays in my Joe-verse, I'm thinking about modernization and (mostly) personalization to my forces. Plus, the 1983 HISS is feeling a lot more antique-like to me a little. So, I'm going to make the "DTC" HISS my main gun for Cobra here for awhile. The old HISS tanks are going away.

Nose to nose, I think it makes sense.

Even bottom to bottom, it kind of makes sense. It's all about the details, and the 1983 HISS (as nice of a design as it really is) sits right flat on the ground. Even though the DTC HISS isn't all main battle tank-like, at least there is some ground clearance.



Coming right down to it, it's the details, and I'm all about some details. The DTC HISS has about the same height as the 1983 HISS, but I'm reminiscing about the old days where the 1983 HISS couldn't get the gun down low enough to threaten some Joes realistically. They had to back up the HISS a little bit. ;)
With the DTC HISS, I have the smaller machine guns at personnel height, but also 4 rockets for any anti-vehicle action!

However, it's not all fine and dandy for me when it comes to the DTC HISS turret. If you don't have one of these, or the 2005 RHINO, you may not know that the turret has a "snap-in" position-tab thing going on. This lack of total free range of motion kind of bugs me, I mean, I don't get the need to have it there. And this feature of clicking "snap-in" positioning carries over into the interchangeable rocket pods on the turret. There's two positions: one slightly depressed downward, with one pod about 40* elevated, while the other turret lifts more at like 44* elevated.

Nitpicky?
Maybe.


No back door?!? If it was supposed to be there, where did go? Aw well, this isn't a button-up and stay safe ride, it's going to get my Cobra forces on the move and bring some heavy infantry firepower along for the ride in the form of VIPERS!

I only have one Track Viper, and I think I didn't get this guy until AFTER I traded off my HISS II. So, by getting rid of my 1983-style HISS vehicles, my one Track Viper will have a ride to operate. (win!)

I debated on using WORMS as a tank crew member, of sorts. I'm still on the fence, the figure really looks like a command-level trooper. I'm still thinking about that.
In the meantime, I think using the Flak Viper as a gunner makes just about as much sense as any. And yes, I know it is a "Nullifier," but I really know it is a Flak Viper. The figure is fairly muscular looking, so re-loading rockets and missiles won't slow this trooper down. Plus, in blue, the Flak Viper matches in with the regular Vipers I use, as well as the back of the helmet has a similar design to the back of the '86-style Viper helmet. Is it comm-gear?


Finding a nice anti-air rocket backpack is something I wouldn't mind for the Flak Viper as I have them. I have a Star Brigade Duke backpack in the picture above. Thought I'd try it out, other than color, I kind of like it.

I was going to snag the HISS 5 last fall when it first came out, but they had already sold through those. And I'm glad they did, as we know the first bunch were the sort-of brown. Which wasn't bad, I was expecting a black HISS, though. And I never did get a black HISS V, but even still, reading about the action feature being a little touchy and the treads not rolling as smoothly, well..., I just don't feel the need to try and catch that particular tank right now.


Anybody have any Track Vipers or DTC HISS tanks they would like to trade or sell?
Or even any interchangeable weapons that anyone has extra of that would work on this vehicle?