About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

11.14.2019

Hit and Run






Not as much of a massive adventurous mission today as it was digging through stuff.   My Tomahawk and Retaliator are still boxed up since not long after my late November 2012 post.   And here within the current HQ shell*, they haven't even been out.  

 I brought Bulletproof back in in early 2017.  (And as I reread that post, I am reminded of his helicopter skill.)   And now with Airborne in the HQ, the small team of 28 is up two too many.   Who is going?   I'm leaning on Hawk, a nice figure, but not a go-to figure that I have thought of grabbing.    But why not have Falcon or Bulletproof in charge?  Everyone else in the collecting/ fan world might choose Hawk for the most part, maybe to make my small team more unique?

I didn't get too geeky and make a graph today.   I just laid out the figures in a sort of graph style by year.   Kind of just to see what it looked like all these years later.
So, '86, '87, '88, '89, '90, '91, and '92/'93-ish.


Various branches, years, specialties in one 28-man team.   The "original 13" vibe (that I forgot I was going for initially until I read what I wrote) didn't stand out to me.   And I guess that "original 13" team really never had a real personal connection to me as much as it was something that I became more aware of as I bought Marvel Comic back-issues or learned about the early toy year I never really knew much about it as I was more '83/'84-based from the get-go.


And yes, you might have thought, hey, Icebreaker, you're missing a pistol.  Yeah, I saw that not long after I had everything out and was thinking.  And yeah, I overpaid on that figure, but shipping and actual product condition that might have come from ebay.....   Well, it's here.   And two figures that I feel okay with swapping spots with.




That leaves the question of whether or not I want to swap-in Airborne.    Hit and Run was a figure that as I pulled from my "chart" above is one I questioned.   But I can see this character/ figure was one the edge of making it years ago to my team.   The sentimentality of this figure is there.   I still have some loose connection to my best bud from so long ago where I suppose if I ever meet up with that fellow again, he could have it back.   It's not a mint figure, I've made notes about "upgrading" this figure over the last few years down in my Pit.

   

The head is slightly loose, the knees a little loose, some discoloration.   My back-in-the-day best bud's mom was a smoker and I had this figure hanging on the Christmas tree and from a plant hook in a former room for years.

I flipped over the knife to keep it from getting too warped today.





I always liked this rifle.   My 1990 Sonic Viper, the only Viper for me for years, used his version of these rifle all the time.   It's a very ergonomic for G.I.Joe figures in my view.



It's a fine figure but would Airborne make for a more versatile and interesting figure on a small team?   I see Hit & Run has been in this position before.  And it's not like the toy is going away if I switch up spots in a box.  (plus, Christmas is coming up, hello Christmas tree....)

Infantry and Mountaineering.  The only "o-ring" version of the character.  
Vs. Parachute Assembler and Medic (plus a Lake Geneva, Wisconsin birthplace...).





*= house.