About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

9.22.2011

1988 may be my favorite year

At least on the GIJoe side of things, 1988 seems to be coming out as my favorite year.

I should explain that I am making this assumption right now based on how my "reduced" figure collection is shaping up. I've made certain criteria over the last couple months that factor into what I like. Some of the criteria are blanket catch all rules, like, no swivel head articulation from here on out. Or the removal of all "sub teams" from the collection, unless the character be wholly unique and doesn't have any other version.

I also played with trying to pick a certain number of figures that would make a fun and well-rounded, versatile GIJoe team. Currently I'm playing with the idea of having two-28-person GIJoe teams. Or one team of 56, where when I divide it back to 28 I won't risk reducing a figure that I may have preferred to keep.

So, one 28-man team is sort of my "alpha" team right now, and the other is my "beta" team. I like how my "alpha" team is looking right now.



But, the breakdown of figures (currently) for the potential 56-man team is (by year):

'86--4
'87--9
'88--11
'89--6
'90--6
'91--9
'92--4
'93--2
'94--2
post-modern-ish: 3


1988 has held fairly high for my GIJoe picks over the last couple months. And, by reason of picking and choosing, with other "made up" criteria and things, 1988 GIJoe team figures really come out high.

So, where at times on forums when somebody asks what my favorite year is, I feel good about saying 1988 now, and I've sort of proved it to myself with reasons.

This was an unexpected revelation!