About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

9.27.2011

Styrofoam

Styrofoam was sometimes a fun thing to have Joes play with.
Anytime a new thing came in a box, the interesting styrofoam pieces that packed it had some interesting shapes to them.

Of all the odd things that got accumulated over the years for use with my GIJoe toys, white styrofoam shapes was kind of common.



If it wasn't so messy, I would start making the "blue" foam models I made when I was in school though. One can make some interesting things with the very same material that may be insulating your house. It can be sanded and glued by layers. Only thing is it isn't much more durable than a visual item. However it is cheap and some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive usually holds it together. Using the 2-inch 4'x8' sheets, there is plenty of material, but at upwards of $20 piece or more...

Of course there are other more suitable grades of modeling foams, and more expensive. And the price jumps up...


And if you really want to makes some nice looking models, the next step is buy renshape. I really like that stuff, but as a student it was expensive for the smallest pieces so I didn't as much experience with. But I would like to.


In the meantime, I still find random styrofoam pieces fun to set up and see what a piece could be.