About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

9.15.2011

GIJoe Skymate

Looking back, 1991 had a lot of interesting action accessories introduced. One of the newest figures I have added to my collection in the last couple years, is Skymate. I would guess sometime in early 2010 is when I obtained this guy.

Probably not even a full year ago, my main goal (if I could call it that) was pretty much to accumulate every classic figure. Every figure character, as well as each version of. On the vehicle side of things, I had already made a 2nd drastic reduction in the number of them. Since the vehicles took up more real estate, I figured I could trade them in for the figures I didn't have. And that's mostly the reason for me going after so many figures.

Skymate was not an inexpensive purchase for me, this figure easily ranks in the top-10 most spent for a single figure. Was it worth it? In a way, maybe. For the very good condition WITH his accessories that this figure had, it was probably the best opportunity for me to snag this figure.
There was no glider as part of the deal, though. After years of thinking of the Gliders (as well as Battle Copters) as more vehicles, I wonder, should the Glider be a personal accessory?



So far, over the last year+ that I've owned Skymate, he hasn't done a whole lot. I think the strongest thing Skymate has going for him is his file card bio.

I think Australian SAS is a huge addition to the GIJoe team, but also consider the exotic weapons skills mentioned in the file bio.

Past the yellow highlights, Skymate looks pretty good to me. I don't mind the hot-pink-ish cap, although I would have liked it in a more subdued hue, of course.


Otherwise, black, green, and green make up the colors that most everyone can agree on.

A neat detail that stand out to me is the knife on his left arm, as well as the ability to attach the bow and boomerang to the figure makes this guy so much more interesting.


Even the bow has a decent amount of detail to it, and I should mention the guard on his right arm is a nice touch that shows this figure knows archery.


The boomerang, too, has some detail etched in!



Aircommandos on YOUTUBE. Neat, I haven't seen this before. We didn't have the right channel for catching this show when it was on T.V. back in the day. Thank you to the uploader for sharing!