About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

5.29.2011

Phantom X-19

Here is the Phantom X-19. This is a plane that I found without the small parts at a flea market many years ago. It still had the seat belts, though! I also found the DEMON (without many parts) at the same time. Even after my aggressive motor pool reduction in 2008, I found it interesting that I had kept both these vehicles over others. Both were rebuilt and both from 1988, as well.

The only real detractor on this X-19, which is now gone due to my recent large vehicle reduction, was the big scratch on the intermix chamber. The rubber bands were all rotted, too. But that worked out ok for me, as this thing spent more time just standing there on its landing gear, much like the Night Raven. Except I don't think the X-19 has as nice of a style as the old Night Raven.

It's still a unique looking aircraft, but I really didn't need a "stealth fighter" with cruise missiles right now, and I didn't think I would in the future. I can use the main force of the (imaginary) Air Force if the Joes need the support like that, besides, isn't it all about UAVs and satellites in these modern times. (not that I'm modern, by any means...)

But, take a look, see what you think. Do you have the Phantom? Can you remember the pilots name?

My "most" memory of this thing is when I was pretending it was a super-stellar space cruiser taking on adventures in the cosmos! (I know, that's out there.)





Operable Landing Gear is always cool, and I liked the group of 4 wheels on each, it gave me the impression that it could land on a hidden airfield somewhere.


It's kind of like air brakes, but also engine covers! I liked that the wings could "pull" out some more cannons, but when there were cannons already present, did I need more?


Wheel well covers are a nice touch that I appreciate, for sure!


That cockpit slide was pretty touchy, but it is a very unique system. I can't think of any other real or toy craft that operates quite this way.
And without the nose cone piece, the whole plane just didn't feel right.