About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

5.17.2011

GIJoe Equalizer Slaughters Marauders


The Equalizer is still a little bit newer to me. I found and bought this up in about 2003 or 2004 at a local shop. I had quite a few good finds there, as far as vehicles go, the Equalizer is the last of those that I still have.

As a Joe fan growing up over the years, I've always wanted a tank. I had a very well used HAVOC at one point early on, and even had a brand new Mobile Battle Bunker, but when I think of a tank, the Equalizer has been about the best example of what I want in a tank. It's essentially a Mauler, if you know your Joe, but I think I like the Equalizer more. Even when I've never had a Mauler in my possession.

Yes, I'm missing two mudflaps, but that's something I can do without. The Equalizers low profile and angled armor borrowed from Mauler are still here. The same great tank hatches are there. If there is anything that really makes a tank feel like a tank, for me, it is all about armored hatches.

Where I like the Equalizer over the Mauler is that the weapons system is not a straight MBT type tank turret. Instead of the Maulers "one gun" that packs a punch, there are twin armor piercing (in my imagination) machine guns and SIX anti-everything and all missiles. Now, the Mauler may have the big gun, but for me, the Equalizer takes the battle up against air targets just as easily.

Compared to the Mauler, I really enjoy the free-wheeling capability of the Equalizer. As much fun as watching a motorized toy with treads rolling through the brush is, my adventures are usually limited to short rolls on a shelf these days.


Not only are the weapons effective as weapons, the Equalizer seems like it has a total combat system built into that turret. There's the big radar dish, the spinning radar dish, and communications antenna along side whatever top secret electronic gear is inside the box. And of course, there really is nothing inside that turret box, it's got NO details or anything in there, but plenty of figures can crowd in there. I usually just have one gunner, though.



And while it is a 1989 vehicle, it's got that 1985 detail in the body. I'm talking ENGINE COVERS. That kind of detail is where it is at. There are vents and hatch details all over here. I really like the option for imaginative engine repairs. Even the air vents on the cover itself is open, adding to the intricate detail.

Oh, and a tow hook. Tow hooks are great.


Storage hatches are another great detail that I really appreciate on the older vehicles. It's one of those simple design things where Hasbro didn't have to put that there. They made that decision to add the fun and interactivity to the vehicle. It's simply good design in my book, plus it shows that a company cares when this type of stuff is present.

When I bought this Equalizer, I got it home and with every tilt I could hear something moving around inside. Some little parts were loosely sliding around. Well, when I opened up these storage cover hatches, I was super excited to find Dogfight's pistol and Long Range's pistol!!! That was a total surprise! How often were little guns like these simply lost over the years?



When it comes to driving this thing, I don't have the vehicles I had even just a few years ago. I have a great pool of drivers to choose from for my main armor vehicle here.

I thought Heavy Metal was an obvious choice, being the Mauler driver originally.
There are plenty of other "tankers" in the ranks that fit fairly well in my opinion, too. Hot Seat and Major Storm are usually the guys I have in the Equalizer, as well.
Even Armadillo or Backstop are pretty good picks with their heavy vehicle experience. Especially Armadillo, he did drive the Rolling Thunder after all.


I've never had any Slaughter's Marauders figures, I guess I'm not too interested in getting those, either. None of them really seemed like vehicle drivers, unless there's something I don't know...

Who did you have for the crew on this tank?

Does GIJOE need tanks?