About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

5.06.2011

Cobra FANG 2

My first GIJOE vehicle was a Cobra FANG. That picture in the link is THE FANG from the very beginning!! Except for the missile, that's all I've added back on the rebuild of it. So far.

But that is old-school. In the new school, at least as far as I am concerned, the Fang II is where it is at.

This small one-man tilt-rotor gives Cobra a sneaky sized little package that can unleash 6 devastating missiles and pound GIJOE with the nose cannon! It needs no airfield, and can fly at fast speeds for lightning quick strikes!

Well, I may be getting dramatic, but really, the FANG II has been my Cobra forces best aerial weapon platform for years!


It is part helicopter, part airplane, and all Cobra. Unlike a larger real-life Osprey, or the expensive and large Cobra Rattler, the FANG II provides air support like no other.

Two powerful engines drive this craft, mounted out on the wing tips. In toy form, I think these are proportioned out very well. And the FANG II has plenty of wing (lift) surfaces for stable flight!
In the toy, the "thumb wheel" really does work nice, and the tail makes a nice hand hold, leaving the front business end to making its attack. I've read where some FANG II's don't seem to hold their "tilt axle" well, or at all. I have two and they have worked well for me. It's one of those old-school things where the designers really put some fine work into things, where if one tab snaps, or wears down, or is not lined-up, .... things don't work as well as one would want them to.


I think the nose cannon is one of my favorite features. It has a full range of motion, and just enough detail where I can believe that there is an ammo feed in there somewhere. This thing is also the only thing really keeping that nose end from coming apart any more at the parting line.
If I have any one real complaint about my FANG II, it is that not-quite completely tight nose area.... it's just enough of a split where I really notice it. I kind of wish it was together tight, and maybe it is just mine? Anyone else have this issue, or figured out how to fix it up?


It's not a helicopter, but it's not an airplane. It does have enough wing surface on it to convince me that it would fly. I also think it is very cool that the landing skids were blended into the bottom wing. It's very simple, but that says to me that this thing is about delivering its load of firepower with the most efficient package as possible (skids? we don't need no stinkin' skids!!).

Although, at times, I would like to have that bomb in the middle on the bottom. Just like the original FANG, with its "negator" bomb. Or even a fuel drop tank to extend the mission. It seems like an area that could be added to as I see it.

Being that this is not a helicopter, nor a plane, who better to fly this thing than a Gyro-Viper?
The Gyro-vipers have the flight suit and helmet on that I think would allow a person to survive flying the FANG II.
Just take a look at the padding around his head, then put on that blast helmet.... no top-wing mounted missiles will harm this pilot. Much, hopefully.


But really, I think it works. The Gyro Viper even matches just enough to make me think he could have come with the FANG II all along. His suit really seems more like something that is meant for a pilot that is pulling G's, and that is what this pilot would have been doing in his original vehicle, the MAMBA. Putting a MAMBA and a FANG II side by side, I think Cobra has some really advanced vertical flying platforms! Where the Gyro Viper was inside a high-tech cockpit in the MAMBA, in the FANG II, this guy rides in the wind on the edge of his seat!



The Cobra Logo on the front is kind of nice, too. The "aerial Cobra" really separates out that the air power is a threat in itself!


For the size of the FANG II, I think it fits for what I would like to build for my Cobra forces. I would like to get some more FANG I's to add in to my collection, too, but they are a little more expensive. I would just as much like to add more FANG II's to my collection, so if you have either/ or, let me know!

As of this post, I still have just my two FANG II's.
My first one, I bought around 1992 or 1993 at a Ben Franklin store. At that store, there were still a lot of older toys on their shelves, I thought it was a cool find. (I also got a Revell VAMP model kit at the same store!)

My 2nd FANG is a Chinese version, I traded my AH-74 Sonic Apache for it from a fellow in Texas around 2004 or so. Had I known the value of the AH-74 as it sits now, I might not have made the trade. But really, past the "value" on the collector market, for whatever reason it is, I think the FANG II has more value to it than that undersized AH-74. (guys arms hung out the cockpit frame...)
Either way, the Chinese FANG II is just a little more bright in its red color, the picture sort of shows that. (left Chinese...)


When it comes to the red, though, it doesn't bother me much. It's like the Stinger missiles are very similar in the shade of red. Although, I have seriously considered giving the red parts a paint-makeover. Perhaps some weathering to make the FANG II seem more realistic, perhaps putty in that split in the nose.



All-in-all, it is a very useful, shelf-able, craft. What do you think about it? It doesn't seem to have much of a huge fan-base, at least from what I've gathered after a few years of online activity.

If I add anything new to my vehicles this fall, I think it is a strong possibility that I may add the Cobra Renegade Black Dragon. It looks really good I think, and it looks like an armored/ updated FANG II in many ways. Here's the direct picture at GeneralsJoes.com.

Heck, if the Black Dragon is really similar in size, and is really well-detailed and priced right, I might just replace my FANG II's. Really, why not? I only have two hands to fly and drive all this stuff, so if the Black Dragon proves "effective" for my Cobra forces, well....UPGRADE!!