About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

1.09.2011

WHALE and the sea squad

Elusive steering vanes!






(Pic: Admiral Keel Haul and a custom Cutter with Topside and Deep Six)

All about my WHALE. Mostly, and my sea squad, too.

My WHALE hovercraft is one of my original vehicles from way back in the day. I can vaguely recall seeing the thing in a bag in a relatives closet while snooping around, eventually getting it for a Christmas present if I recall correctly.

It has survived through several residence moves and battles. Often used as an HQ or base in itself back in the day (even while having the '83 HQ), it made it through my younger days, although it made it without the rudders and steering vanes intact, and the recon. bike seemed to just disappear.

It has traveled across state lines and down streets, been boxed up, and out on display. And it really isn't a vehicle that I would rate as "essential" in my modern days with a focus on a lean motor pool. In fact, I almost did sell it off back in 2008. I'm glad I didn't right now. It's not that it's getting much use, it's been in a rubbermaid resting in bubble wrap and baggies since last April.

I technically don't really "need" any boat in my modern thinking, either. I'm more thinking air travel for adventures, and a Tomahawk could easily carry a Devilfish (which I have never had) if I "needed" a boat. I chose the WHALE over the Shark 9000, too, which despite its colors had some nice aspects to it.

So, what is it about the WHALE that makes me hang on to a large, potentially fragile, vehicle? I don't know. I mean, I can get just as many Joes across the water in my Night Rhino (9) if I needed to, and I did keep that vehicle in place of my A.P.C. I can get drop 5 Joes off the Tomahawk, but only 4 off the WHALE. And they disembark off the front of the WHALE (dangerous!!).

Is it the details of the WHALE that are appealing? I do like the pair of turrets, missile boxes, and artillery-size cannons. None of which are overly detailed or anything, quite simple in form actually. The recon. sled and bike are nice, but, really not much more detail in those. And if ever an "action gimmick" there was, it's in those twin propulsion fans. The single button spinning those blades are interesting, but the "engine block" does take up a good amount of space.
Of course there are the engine covers, bridge station, depth charges, secret compartment underneath, etc., etc....

Maybe it's all of it? Maybe all these things and more that allow for a multitude of little action figure drama and adventure.... figure to vehicle interactivity.

Or maybe it's just a fun vehicle that is a able to go across land and water and really compliments a GIJOE invasion force? I'm glad I kept this vehicle, though.



Mostly for the "sea" Joes. Some Joes are really rather limited in their environment of action, especially a "deep sea diver."

Admiral Keel Haul (v2) doesn't have a U.S.S. Flagg to command here, so he's in charge of the WHALE. Cutter is still the "Lt." as on his file card, but he's taking a little more of an active role in my mind, much like the D.E.F. did. In the top picture on this post, one can see my more combat version of Cutter...essentially a head swap.

I don't have an '85 Shipwreck, yet. My first and only Shippy is the '94 SEAL version, another "diver" figure. And I like that figure quite a bit, it advanced Shipwreck as a character through the toy line. And "diver" Shipwreck joins Wet suit, Deep Six, and Torpedo, as the water troops.

I have the '89 Deep Six picked as my only Deep Six. As far as figures go, and as neat as the '84 Deep Six is, this was a pretty easy choice to make for me in that the one with the most action potential stayed. It's not been as easy for Wet Suit, though. I have the "wet down" version, the '86 original, and even the '91 version. Each has certain points I like, but thus far, I've kept them all.

My Torpedo is the "a real American hero collection" release of that particular mold. I did have the 2004 VAMPs "land" version of him...but I didn't like that Hasbro used the head of the '91 Wet Suit. I like twins, but these guys are not twins. And the body still says Muskrat to me, and I like Muskrat. So, Torpedo is looking a little dated in some ways, but, he works out ok on the '84 WHALE.

On deck is the obvious choice of Topside. A naval assault seaman just fits, and with the WHALE the only water craft left around, welcome aboard!

Rampart and Blaster round out my sea squad. Rampart as a shoreline defender makes sense to me, though, and he has some excellent gear for shoreline assaults. Blaster is a hovercraft tinkerer in my mind, and instead of trailing the rest of the old Battleforce 2000 guys, he is THE mechanic and often pilot on the WHALE.

In some ways with these figures "stationed" on my WHALE and their limited roles in play on it, the WHALE has almost become a force in itself. Storming beaches, artillery bombardments, covert insertions, high-speed high-seas battles, etc....

I do wish I had kept the NAVY SEAL mission raft from around '98/'97 sometimes, that actually looked kind of nice strapped onto the WHALE for a little extra added adventures.



Below is the final shot of the WHALE prior to heading into the trade zone :