About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

1.10.2011

Arctic Blast






Arctic Blast!



I've written out a little bit on my WINTER OPERATIONS previously a little while back, not too long after I bought the new Wolf hound. (we still call it a Snow Cat here.) I made mention of my interest in the Arctic Blast at that time. I was checking out YoJoe.com and the Joe Index, and was hoping to see it featured in a custom form or used in a winter battle scene. I didn't see much, there is a YouTube review and the original commercial for the toy on YouTube that added to what I was looking for, but ultimately, I just wanted one in hand. I had never seen one in person, and I find that pictures don't give a good impression of what a vehicle can really offer.

I checked the ebay, but those were a bit pricier than I wanted to put out. I did find someone who was selling one just before Christmas, and the price was simply unbeatable. And in the end, the whole deal was simply great. The Arctic Blast is finally here, and that's what I'm going to share with you here.

The Arctic Blast obviously doesn't have that much of a body. In fact, with just two wheels powering it, it reminds me more of a side-paddle-wheel boat. It really does. Just like a boat, this arctic sled with its light weight really almost floats across the frozen terrain as the giant (yet weight spreading) wheels tear it up with rather large knobby tires.
It takes up about the same amount of space as the "Snow Cat," too.


The "Snow Cat" is simply a half-track truck, heavily "Joe-ified," but a truck none-the-less. The "Snow Cat" brings us 4 artillery rockets and two Ski-pedoes. The Arctic Blast brings us two smaller Ski-pedoes, but compliments them with a pair of multi-barrel machine guns. The "Snow Cat" offers the ability to carry a few more Joes on the sides and back stands, but the Arctic Blast offers up two gun mounts for its riders. Although, with two figures riding on the back of the Arctic Blast, it does tip backwards. Perhaps some more ammo was needed for the front guns?

The Arctic Blast is really simple as you probably already figured out. It's got some interesting stuff going on in the rear other than just the two platforms for the gun mounts. The engine is present, something I always like in a Joe vehicle. I am a huge fan of engine covers, but perhaps to save weight, the engine cover was simply omitted here? It's on a deck right behind the seat, and that arrangement is something that makes me think of a "go-cart." This must be meant as a pure battle vehicle, there's just no frills.
There is a mysterious hole in the center where one would expect to find, perhaps, a tow hook. I wonder if there was to be a tow-behind sled or some other item that would work with this? An engine cover on the rear platform would easily accommodate a figure standing on top of it for use on manning another gun mount directly overhead of the driver?

For driving, I suppose it is power one wheel or the other, or both, and simply, "go!" There are floor pedals, but flying/ sliding across rough terrain, well, does it call for brakes? I think of Florida Everglades air boats and how they just skim across that land. Those don't have brakes, think the operation of the Arctic Blast is one of no reverse option?
No matter how it would actually be driven by a figure, I still can make it go. I do like the seat belt. It's a nice 1988-1989 feature and I think the Evader, Rolling Thunder, Thunderclap, X-19 are some of the other vehicles I've had with these belts. Either way, it works just as well as a figure back-peg (see a 1983 FANG) or the 1990 seat clips. Actually I like the seat belt more than the seat clips.

If you're up on your Joe, you probably already know that Windchill came with the Arctic Blast. My first Windchill actually came with the Blockbuster, so I've really had this character in play some 15 years now. The '94 version of him, I should add. The 1989 version is a more recent addition from the last couple years and is not in as good of shape as my '94.
I actually think that with the Arctic Blast addition to my collection that I have finally found something for Snow Storm to do. For a cold weather/ arctic guy, with the gear he came with he kind of seemed more space/ Star Brigade like. I had the blue on white version since back in the day, but the figure is all bundled up and compared to the bulk of the other "arctic" Joes he seemed like the comfy-cozy odd-man-out. He's got no outside exposure in that suit, but I think in the Arctic Blast this is a HUGE plus. Who better to run this thing in possible wind chills of death? A more recent addition in the last couple years was the 1994 version of Snow Storm. He's actually got a similar shade of gray that the 1989 Windchill has, and it offsets him from the all (very) white vehicle. So, I may stick with the '94 version as my "main" Snow Storm at this time. Do you think the other version might be better or would choose this way, too?

The Artic Blast has a lower profile than the Snow Cat, an advantage in a battle vehicle as I see it. The rear gun mounts don't have the up and down pivot, but they can be used in an almost 360* swivel only being blocked by the massive floodlights.
The floodlights are kind of neat, they allow some excellent forward vision, but also could blind an enemy at night as the Arctic Blast makes its assault forward.


All-in-all so far, I really like this vehicle. Compared to all my vehicle purchases in 2010, this comes close to number one, but in some ways I like the new Water Moccasin from TRU (Sting Raider) a little bit more. And it really ties with the Wolf Hound, but it's a "truck" versus a special forces vehicle kind of thing for me here; hard to decide.


And it's been years since I've had a lot of my other arctic vehicles, but, I would like to have the Arctic Blast battle the Cobra Ice Snake. That's a battle that never happened that I wanted.


I still don't get an arctic vibe from the Blockbuster....