About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

1.24.2011

Clutch


Some figures just don't live up to how I envision the character. For example, I'm still waiting for a perfect Stalker and Scarlett that fits in my classic styled ARAH collection. My imagination of the perfect figure rendition for these and others will probably never happen, so I'll make do with the best options out there of course.

For Clutch as if late, it's been that perfect personality capturing figure issue for me (is there one?). As an almost complete old-mold classic ARAH collector, I always have the option of the original classic Clutch. In green, tan, or straight-arm, for that matter. Fine figures, don't get me wrong, but, kind of boring. I kind of want a driver that really says he's ready for battle, and if it wasn't for the orange, the Mega Marine Clutch would have fit the bill; a real driver and mechanic looking figure. But that figure also really misses on the rough, unshaven feel that the Clutch character really needs, in my opinion.

I've made some custom attempts to capture the personality I've built up in my head for Clutch. One from a few years back uses the ARAH comic pack head, and I was going for a sort of "Road warrior" approach for Clutch. A little armor, fairly muscular. Thinking back this wasn't too bad... I almost want Clutch in all black, though...something I'll have to maybe play with later with the few parts I have laying around maybe.


I didn't "hate" the orange on the M.M. Clutch, but, there really was a lot. I was thinking of leaving the pants alone for awhile on here, too, as they would have made for a nice contrast. Sometimes, all dark is just too serious for my toys to be fun, ya know? But I ended up painting these, too. I thought the all olive drab underneath the armor would make a nice visual connection to the original "green" figure after all.

My Badger custom is here, I was thinking of how Clutch as a figure could advance the character by making him some sort of advanced cavalry scout driver, or something that would have added upon his previous figures imaginary biographies. The Badger being a one-man 4WD fast assault vehicle, souped up by Clutch himself, perhaps?



I painted this guy assembled, hoping it wouldn't all flake or rub off. But some did. And some spots, like the joints, obviously would be worn off with movement. I guess on a technical note, I could shave some areas down to avoid this, but I probably won't right now.

No matter how many times I rechecked for spots I missed on the painting, it always seemed like I missed some small spot. That's why I don't do too many customs, let along figure customs. And the camera helps reveal even more flaws that I don't see under the basement light bulb.

Now that I'm doing this little paint job, I almost like my simple "Road warrior" assembly at the top more.

What's the alternative to making a perfect Clutch? Buying one, right?

Now the Tanks for the Memories Clutch is kind of nice looking, and the street racing vest is really a nice touch. I still see Pathfinder in the torso, though. Even though it's a nice green, and the head really has a nice personification to it, I'm not sure if I would have this my main Clutch. And it might be more expensive for me to get? Personally, I was hoping the GIJOE Club would have re-colored the Mega Marine version like they did with the Steel Brigade 2005 "Dragonsky" or Gung-ho. I suppose all those guys are playing with the modern era Joes these days, too, so that might be a hope long gone for now.

Or there is the Double Clutch figure, which don't look too bad...maybe if the arms and shoulders were toned down a little...? Or the other Double Clutch which fits better with my classic ARAH collection, but at the same time is really on the light side of green and with the yellow makes a nice comic figure, but not one I really want to make my main Clutch. Besides that's Mace's body and the Clutch head feels out of place on it to me.

With the modern era Clutch, well, I had him with my 25th VAMP, but, still just a "green" guy in the end. Nothing on the figure said much about personality, as much as the head sculpt does look nice. And the 2010 VAMP version of Clutch makes this modern figure so much more interesting to me, that's a great looking shade of green, and the gear is pretty decent (but since he's so much taller than my classic ARAH guys, he'd stand out, literally). I may still acquire that VAMP, but I'm waiting for a real sale price on it.

With all those options, none of them really capture a good personality for what I want Clutch to be. I've tried those couple custom and paint attempts.

What do you think is the best personality characterizing representation of Clutch?