About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

1.22.2011

Sea operations extra

I wrote briefly about my WHALE and the Sea Squad not too long ago. That's about my GIJoe team sea arm capacity as it is now, those Joes listed and that WHALE. Not too long ago, vehicles were more abundant.

Here below is a picture I wanted to share in the previous post, it is essentially the bulk of the GIJOE navy in about late-2005 or early 2006.




If you know your Joe, you already know these. Nothing is rare or out of the ordinary. In this time-frame-picture, I had already traded off my Tiger Shark and Shark 9000, and that newer GIJOE Piranha boat. Those were among those vehicles traded in 2005 early on in my endeavor to reduce my amount of toys.

In the picture, under the TTBP is My Night Shade and my original mail-in SHARC. They look good underneath I think, but, long-term collecting wise I didn't think I would be having many submersed battles.

On the TTBP deck is the TRU Navy SEAL assault raft. I maybe should have kept that, it was small enough and now that I think about it; it is almost like a battle field set. It has a bunch of tools for insertion and sneakiness, but unlike a battlefield tent, it's raft.
Also is one of the 2005 Convention Skyhawks. I thought three was terrific, but, with no guns on the front, I had to tear the ones off my old-buddies Skyhawk ('84). In the end, those Skyhawks didn't hold me much, and consider how that much more awesome 25th Anniversary Skyhawk looks compared to these, and well, I don't miss them.

The Joe Hydrofoil Moray and WHALE flank the sides of the TTBP. The WHALE is here, as you know, and I've mentioned it's my only Joe sea vehicle.
I've placed the Joe Hydrofoil Moray back under the control of Copperhead for use by Cobra. I did like that the Joes were getting essentially a true high-speed patrol boat in this TRU release, however, they would have been battling the EXACT same craft you can see on the shelf below the TTPB: real Cobra Morays.



Now, the Cobra Morays were in really good shape, with just a few minor flaws that did not detract from the fun at all. IN FACT, I've had FOUR hydrofoils in my possession over the last 10 years. I remember getting one on ebay and one at a local shop, but right now I can't remember where the other two came from. Not remembering things like this is a reason I felt I was just buying and accumulating too many things.

In the end with the Moray, I kept the '05 TRU release for use with Cobra as their big sea vehicle. Copperhead is technically the owner in my Joe-Verse, as this is the last of the Morays. (Cobra took a big loss in my Joe Verse, larger vehicles like the Morays were more easily targeted and destroyed (in reality, these two Morays were traded and sold). Copperhead was able to return to his smugglers ways; stealing the boat and hiding with his own cache of parts, enhancing the craft, etc., etc....)

Even the TTBP was sold, and it came down to that it did not really match up with the HQ. I thought that if I was going to have a smaller collection, yet somehow still be able to disPlay it all, the TTBP would have to "fit" with the HQ in a set up. And within that shelf set-up it would be something like the "dock-side" of the base layout....and longer story shorter, it would turn out to be a very large set up. So, I stuck with the HQ and battlefield station sets only for this aspect.