About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

1.15.2011

Convention 2005 GIJOE


The 2005 GIJOE convention in Minneapolis, MN, was my first and only convention thus far attended. I had read about the conventions online in the couple years previous, and even as early as 1994 received mailings for some of the earlier gatherings. I probably could have made previous conventions and perhaps another since then, but, either way, this convention was darn near in my back yard. I couldn't miss it.

I really didn't know what to expect, I was excited, though! I had a print out hanging on my wall with the date and location since the day it was announced.
I drove over Friday morning, and had the fortune of getting in on a group rate at a non-con hotel just a few blocks down the street with several YOJOE.COM forum posters. I thought that was awesome, and I got to meet most everyone in the lobby right when I walked in. That was very cool.


After getting settled in, I brought a wagon load of GIJOE stuff to trade up to the room. I think we walked over to the main convention hotel shortly after. I decided to stay in the registration line and missed the parachute drop. This was also my first "convention exclusive" purchase, so I was excited for that. Skyhawks, recolored Battle Corps Steel brigade guys, and a new take on one of my favorite aspects of GIJOE, the Iron Grenadiers.

Even in line I was able to meet a lot of other people that were posting on forums at that time, too. A lot from Joesightings, and a good number from JoeBattlelines. I had a JBL tag on my convention tag.

I think after getting all that convention stuff put in my backpack, I walked around the show floor taking in most of the surroundings. Being my first convention, and never seeing this much Joe stuff in one place was pretty cool. A few people made comments that this was much smaller compared to the previous conventions, but I was pretty happy. Was Minneapolis really THAT much of an out of the way place for the bulk of people?



This is where we got to see the new product coming up, the stuff that I was usually checking in my internet at home to see what was in the pipeline...but I was actually in the room to see it first.
The Sigma Six announcement was made here. I guess I can't remember much about the mood at that time on it, but we got to see a lot of the product and I particularly liked the sketch boards set up on display. I was hoping to be the guy doing this kind of work!

I can't remember how the "DTC" announcement was made, either. There was a lot of people and I definitely was able to stay occupied browsing the new products, customs, and the large amount (imo) of sellers with stuff for me to buy!

I do remember the mood on the "GIJOE" Moray. Some of the thoughts were that it was the better deal than the blue-top-only-and-more-expensive convention Moray. And some people were unwilling to allow this vehicle to become a "GIJOE" vehicle. Some people went out to the Toys R Us stores in the area to go get this, too, as I think it was just out at that time.


Of the new products shown here, that we could order from the new Hasbro Toy Shop (AKA DTC), I had to get that HISS. I wasn't really sold on the rest. I also ordered the Night Ops Humvee at this time. I did eventually order the RHINO at a later time, but the HISS was really my favorite thing to see here. I liked the lines, and really felt like it captured the essence of the HISS I. I was a little let down that there was a Night Creeper driving, it felt, uninspired. Somewhat cheap. JBL's LeoTDragon was snapping a picture of the HISS as I was getting this one.



I think after getting the initial look around the sales floor and picking up the convention stuff, I headed back over in the early afternoon to my hotel with some of the JBL'ers and did some trading. I think we headed right back over to the convention hotel for some of the Hasbro round tables and other presentations.
I got to meet even more Joe fans during those, and I particularly liked Mark Bellomo's presentations. Getting to see the original works of art on the wall was quite a treat. Once again, this kind of work was something I wanted to be doing.
Maybe it was in a round table that they introduced the "hiatus" on the 3-3/4". I can't remember exactly. I should have kept a journal over the weekend.

This is where I saw my first U.S.S. Flagg, too (in person). That's what's pictured below. It was great seeing a lot of the different vehicles that I hadn't seen in person over the weekend.


This all leads only into Friday night. I had dinner with some Smalljoes.com guys, which was really awesome that they invited me to join them. That was a blast getting to hang in person with guys that I've sort of conversed with for a few years prior online. They went up to the auction, I went back to the hotel and eventually met up with a bunch of awesome Yojoe-er's for some in room trading and chatting.

Saturday I was up before most of Minneapolis and was able to check out the downtown area a little bit on foot. Although this location is really very close to where I live, I don't think I had ever been here. I had breakfast up in the convention hotel, and it seemed like almost afternoon before anything started going.

I think there was a seminar, and I did get in on the one-and-only (that I know of) GIJOE TCG live tournament at some point. I had to let one younger kid win, though, but not without some effort on his part... I didn't advance that far, but still had fun playing this game.

Saturday night was the convention dinner, which was at an airfield with a big band. It was kind of fun, I got to hang with the Yojoe-er's on a runway. There was a WW2 PBY under works in the hanger, and we were allowed an up close look at a B-24 (If I recall correctly). This shindig did get a little long, but that pretty much brought the night to a close.

Sunday seemed like everyone was already heading out in the morning. Seemed like the sales floor was opened for closing. I snagged some last-minute items and decided to get out of town myself. There was a parade that was about to start and potentially hinder my travels out of that area.

All-in-all, a good time. I hope to make it to a convention again.