About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

1.26.2012

Updraft : GIJoe helicopter pilot

Updraft
GIJOE Retaliator Pilot.

I put up a list "page" of the GIJOE team members that are in my (I guess I would call it...) "elite" team. As you've read along here, you may remember that I'm bringing my collecting and playing habits small by making myself have only a GIJOE team of 28 figures.

Some choices to make for my team were hard, and it was really down to the nitty-gritty-picky points of what I like more on many of these figures; it came to what qualities a figure had that I thought I would be happiest with, as I was going to have less. A lot of choices that were not easy, and even now as I look at what I have left, I question myself on some.

Updraft, however, was one of the easier figures for me to pick.

When it comes to helicopter pilots in the ARAH toyline, Wild Bill is almost always the most popular go-to choice. I've shared my thoughts on the Dragonfly and Wild Bill here. I like the 2000 "blue" Wild Bill quite a bit. Lift-Ticket is an obvious option, too. I suppose Windmill..., but..., yeah...

It really came down to what I saw as versatility in a figure. I wanted the most flexibility out of a figure that I could get. Updraft really fits what I needed the most. Not only is he a world class pilot, the figure feels like it actually fits in a non-flight seat role.

For me, Updraft is most effective as my teams Tomahawk pilot (the Tomahawk is the core of my GIJOE teams mobility). However, Updraft can keep up on foot on a mission just as well. And he doesn't feel out of place to me.
(and his "JOE" belt buckle is similar to Heavy Duty's belt buckle. Coincidence?)

Updraft isn't all "high-tech" looking, nor does his uniform seem like it is best suited (or limited) to the role of a pilot. Plus, the removable helmet helped to elevate him over Lift Ticket. (Lift Ticket would have been a stronger contender otherwise, as the rest of the body of Lift Ticket is great, as evidenced by Sky Patrol Airborne.)

(Dogfight is becoming best buds with Updraft in my imagination, too. I'll have more on Dogfight another time, for now though, Dogfight is the co-pilot. )

Also, Updraft just plain looks good on the Tomahawk.

Updraft as a figure, and considering file card information, is really kind of a blank slate for me. The chance for me to maybe get some imaginative personality out of this figure was another reason why Updraft was one of my easier team choices.

I can't remember for sure where I got this Updraft here. I'm thinking I bought this figure from the old gijoehq.com back in 2004. It might have even been 2005. Or even 2003! I don't like not remembering where my figures came from, or when I got them.

Anyway, Updraft is here to stay as my teams main pilot