About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

1.30.2012

Low-light


Low-Light
E-6
Infantry/ night fighter
Marksmanship Instructor/ sharp shooter

Low-light is one of those figures I consider a part of my own "original 13" figures. This is a character that has been with me from possibly 1986 itself. Low-light, along with Sci-fi and Hawk, was one of my most often used figures from way back in the day.

The figure above is THE '86 Low-light that I've had this whole time. I've never come across another '86 Low-light figure to upgrade or swap out better parts with. Here are the original accessories that came with my Low-light figure:

One can see the play wear on the rifles handle (as well as the missing bi--pod) and the excessive wear on the uzi. The excessive wear on the uzi came from me trying to put it on that slot on Low-lights leg. I've never felt that it fit quite right, and the uzi shows my "excessive" attempts!

Over the years, I've also had the 1993 Dinohunter Low-light, and the 2001 RAHC Low-light. I had been using the 2001 version as my default since I bought it in 2001 (or so) up until about mid-2011. So about 10 years (wow!), the 2001 Low-light almost always THE Low-light I had in action. Most notably, I had Low-light as part of my former "security forces" assignment/ department.

With alternate figure versions:

The "security force" group was one of my favorite little made-up things over the last decade. I wanted that aspect to play into my new small collection, and this is where some figures simply didn't make the cut; and they were not easy decisions.

As I mulled over which version of Low-light to go with, the more I played with them and thought it out, the original Low-light really had a lot of appeal to me. I think it is the very fact that the actual figure here is so loose and play-worn, that is why I really haven't used this figure as much over the last decade.

Another aspect of Low-light that isn't really "offical," but sticks out to me is that he has a sort of commando-feel to me. Sure, he is most noted for being a sniper in the popularity realm, but considering the uzi with the '86 figure, as well as the 1991 (and subsequent) figures, well, that's why I get that commando-vibe from the figure now.


That's one of the reasons I "assigned" Low-light to my "security force." Even though THAT group of figures is mostly gone, I still wanted to have that little flavor of S.W.A.T./ police/ commando/ delta/ what-have-you.



The figure itself has a great amount of detail, and I'm not usually a fan of uzis, even though I mentioned them how many times just now. Like below, the original uzi doesn't interest me much, but the Marauder Gun-runner's version makes playing so much more fun!


Since Low-light and Sci-fi have been characters (along with Hawk) that have been in my possession for so long, I didn't want to lose these characters in my little collection team; I wanted to keep them together. The '86 Low-light with his gray uniform matches the 1991 Sci-fi fairly interestingly.



Going forward, I think Low-light will be a great asset to my little 28-man team.