About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

1.05.2012

tanks

Back in the day, I just wanted a tank. I had a Tiger Cat.

And then I had a Mobile Battle Bunker. And then a (used) Fort America. And then other vehicles, but I really just wanted a tank. Two treads under an armored platform with an armed turret, ya know what I mean?

And I have since had a tank, the Equalizer.

However, do tanks really fit in a small, more rapid-deployment force, especially one like my force which is going for the more covert, unobtrusive size?

I was just thinking about how my little elite force is going to function in the very limited vehicle department the other day. The Tomahawk is the star of the show, and the one vehicle that is going to really be the centerpiece of my mobile imaginary adventures.

The Tomahawk, in my imagination, can easily lift the VAMP MK1, AWE Striker, and Whirlwind, if the need be. But, my imagination is questioning whether or not it is too much of a stretch to pretend the Tomahawk airlifting the Equalizer around the globe? (with aerial refueling, my Tomahawk can fly around the world ;) )

I suppose it is possible after all, the Tomahawk carried the Rolling Thunder into battle in the Marvel Comic, so I have that "official" angle of technical capability to play off with my imagination.

But, even still, I wonder if I "need" the Equalizer. Heavy Duty ('91) is on the scene in my elite team, and that guy is almost a walking tank with that rig. Could Heavy Duty replace a tank?

I suppose I could consider replacing the larger Equalizer with a smaller version of any of the "Armadillo" mini-tanks. Without hatches or an interior though, I don't know if I would be happy with one of those as my team's armor. (and I really don't care for the MOBAT, and the Patriot Grizzly is way too big for me)


Looking back at the classic run, I suppose one could argue that a tank is needed. There's been one from the beginning, the MOBAT, which sat along side the VAMP and RAM. And it is that small vehicle array that I was kind of trying to simulate with what I have left here for vehicles. (I was thinking along the lines of, "back to basics," in some respects....)



What roll does heavy armor play in your GIJoe universe?

Is there a (imaginary, for now) C-130 or Galaxy helping to move your team's vehicles around the globe?