About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

3.25.2012

Hit & Run

One would think Hit & Run would be a top pick for a GIJoe collection. I actually had Hit & Run on my "B team" of 28 figures, and he just barely beat out Hardball, Dial Tone, and Mutt for a spot on my "A team" of 28 figures.

In the end, Dial Tone was a little too techie-feeling, Hardball just not as versatile-feeling of a figure, and Mutt..., well, if Order was going, Junkyard was going, too. And that meant Mutt, too.

And while the all-camo helped Hit & Run slide onto the team, it was the fact that this was the last full figure that would be left from my best bud from way back in the day.

Beachhead was a figure I got from my best bud, way back over 20 years ago, but I swapped out parts on that figure for better parts in an attempt to upgrade him just a little.

Hit & Run is all original.

This figure and accessories have been owned by me and my best bud. Nostalgia gave this figure the big kick onto my small team. While there are other factors in deciding which figures, when the end of all comes and some person looks at my collection, knowing the figures history and why it is one that is being held onto more than others hopefully is an interesting trivia tidbit.

Other than that, Hit & Run is almost TOO "army." Some figures have some little flair, or really unique uniform that sets them apart from every other character figure. I think it is that army green that makes Hit & Run a little less interesting as a character.

I think it would have been so much better if the helmet was removable, too. But the guy has a rifle that was one of my favorites many years ago, it was shared by many other figures in adventure.

The winch-n-hook duffel bag got the most use from me on Christmas' in the mid-1990's. Hit & Run would commonly spend that season "hiding" on the tree.

In the later '90's, Hit & Run spent most of the time hanging from ceiling hook blending in along a very long vine I had growing from a tall shelf.


Past that, Hit & Run stayed fairly silent in my adventures. The figure was never really a "go-to" guy that I remember. The more generic "shooter" infantry rifleman feel of the figure did lead to me using him in some of my earlier "squad" concepts of organizing. I think below is a photo from late 2004 or early 2005, but it could have been later. Either way, Hit & Run did see some action.


The figure is also great as a "mountain trooper." It wasn't as obvious to me back in the day, but really is now.
When I made my "department" divisions in an attempt at better organizing, I found Hit & Run to be a great addition to my "mountain patrol."


From my "mountain patrol," I also started to mentally connect him to Recoil. I think they both have a light-infantry feel, a little mountain troop feel, and both have a sort of generic army adventure feel. If that makes sense.






In 2009, this is what the my collection had from the 1988 series: