About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

9.24.2012

Side adventures, Captain Power

Back in the day, we had Captain Power toys make it into the house.  While I'm pretty close to all 'Joe here at the HQ, I've mentioned some of the other toys that I've had previously.   And if things were different in real life, everything and anything would be getting collected probably.  (probably good things are not too different :O .)

Through Grandparents from the big cities, us small town kids eventually got possession of the VHS training tapes, two XT-7 jets, a Phantom Striker, a Power On Energizer, and an Interlocker.   We also had Captain Power, Lord Dread, Hawk, and two Blastaars for figures.  These figures and vehicles were a good scale for GIJoe.

Even at the height of my GIJoe collection (just prior to my draw-down), I was working Lord Dread (AKA: Dr. Taggart) into my HUGE JoeVerse of the time.  Dr. Taggart was to be good evil-scientist buddies with my VvV Overkill (who was going to be a lead B.A.T. builder, who was injured and near death, but "saved" by Dr. Taggart).        

Talk about the potential for a "robot rebellion" angle in my JoeVerse.  The Blastaar ground Bio Dreads would have been fighting alongside B.A.T.s of all kinds.  What GIJOE members would you have combat this threat?

Ah, but, like the real world robot rebellion, mine was cancelled, too.   It would have resulted in me trying to bring in more figures and vehicles for all sides for that.


Back in the day, Captain Power crossed over into the Joe realm more frequently.   Sometimes it was just to supplement Joe or Cobra, sometimes it was for one-off adventures.  Slipstream got to pilot the XT-7 Power Jet.  The Phantom Striker was sometimes an (almost) unstoppable super Cobra craft.

One thing is that we were often not home until the very tail end of the Captain Power T.V. show on Sunday mornings.  Grrrrr.   Plus, what our Grandparents brought us from the big cities is all we really had access to as we lived in such a small area.  (I can't recall anyone other kids having these.)


I still have the Captain Power stuff, it's not a lot, so it fit into its own Rubbermaid container.  One handle battery cover on an XT-7 has been long since lost, and the landing gear on both have slight stress marks.   The Dread vehicles have really held up well.

I'm not sure if I should keep these around, but it looks like they are very low on the selling market price side these days.  I might just have more fun with these around.