About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

2.13.2012

Cobra Viper Pit

There were several multi-packs that were put out with classic '80's and '90's figures from as early as 2002's "sound attack 8-pack" all the way to 2006's Viper Pit. After missing out on the Cobra Infantry Forces pack, as well as missing out on the Operation: Crimson Sabotage set (wow, did I burn fuel and time trying to chase it down, too!), I was very excited and happy when I learned about the 2006 Viper Pit coming out.

I mean, Vipers..., in blue..., in one big pack! After not acquiring previous army-builder packs, I pre-ordered the Viper Pit set online. And to ensure a nice squad of a dozen, I ordered two! I thought this was perfect, I only had one original 1986 Viper at that time, and I really didn't want to spend $20 or more for a single figure to army build for Cobra.

Heck, back in the day, this was my "Viper:"
While not the actual Motor Viper figure, I used the Motor Viper I had with this very accessory pack weapon as my "Viper" trooper. The Motor Viper, alongside the Strato-viper, and soon accompanied by Sea Slug, rounded out my "troops" that were under the command of Serpentor at that time.

The 2006 Viper Pit was, well, perfect. Until the realization that the B.A.T. ('86) legs were only "fixed" at the upper leg. The B.A.T. waist and legs still remained. But, that wasn't the worst part for me. For starters, the "Ambush" rifles and other armaments just had to go, as well as the little sub-machine guns. The "S.A.W.'s" weren't too bad.

But the articulation, the way it all fit together, really brought what should have been a great set down to an "all right" set. The same problems that were present in the 2002 GIJOE versus Cobra "green" Viper were still there, even though the thigh was, as I remember reading, "specially re-tooled" for the set. So, I don't like to sound negative, but this set could have been stellar.

On the positive side, the gloves were painted black and some silver detail was added to the new Vipers, as well as the goggles getting some "transparent" paint applied. And you know, the blue is really nice, too. As you can see they are very close, but still distinct so originals really retain their distinctiveness.


As far as the articulation that I didn't care for, well, it's an easy fix. Another collector had posted a photo that illustrated spots to trim online, but I can't find it now. I kind of went figure-by-figure, and removed little-by-little as I went. I did go a little too far in material removal on some, resulting in looser-than-I-desired spots. But still, should "fixing" or having to modify a brand new product to make that product "good," or "better," be expected of GIJoe fans?

I also traded off the "gold" Vipers. I wasn't buying into a rank scheme where the high-ranked leader-viper got gold trim. (silver and gold, silver and gold...) I think the color differences worked on the 2005 Night Watch figures, though. (even though, as swivel head joint figures, they were removed from collection....)

Replacing the accessories was easy, mostly thanks to Marauder Gun Runners, inc., of course. Can you guess which is my favorite Marauder rifle for my Vipers? (Yes, I am original :P ) I just got some new "customized" rifles, too. I think the sniper and suppressive fire customs are my favorites.

All-in-all, this was really one of my most hoped-for multi-packs when it all comes down to it. The only thing better that would beat a straight pack of re-issued '86 Vipers for me was a pack of each specialty Viper over the years to be released in a standard Cobra blue coloration.

While the end-product disappointed me with the Viper Pit on many points, on the positive side, I have my squad of Vipers to tangle with the GIJoe team.

(My Vipers aren't used as cannon fodder, either.)

Hi, guys!


Check out GeneralsJoes.com review for more on this set.