About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

6.02.2011

Cutter GIJOE coastie

If I had to pick a favorite character, I might say Cutter. Of all the service branches represented in the GIJOE team over the years, Cutter is the only representative of the U.S.C.G. All respect to all services, always, but the Coast Guard gets left out it seems sometimes. In war, it's under the Navy, but in peace it has its civilian roles here at home. From navigation assistance, maritime law enforcement, S.A.R., patrolling for smugglers, or breaking ice on shipping channels (hence my code name!!!), or whatever. A very useful service that doesn't always get the acknowledgement. Cutter even had to fight to get U.S.C.G. presence on the GIJOE team.

I guess in many ways, as "my favorite," nostalgia really kicks in here, too. Above, I'm pretty sure that THAT Cutter is my original Cutter. And he is showing the wear. And as I think of it more, this might be the oldest figure in my collection from my very original figures from way back in the day.

I think it is interesting that in looking back that my old Cutter has that much play wear on him. The guy has no weapons, and has a life preserver on. Not a front line modern army action figure by any means. But, sure enough, back in the day I must have had more imagination with a much more limited selection of figures and vehicles. Cutter must have been kickin' it with 1986 Hawk, 1986 Low light, and 1986 Sci-fi pretty hard.

The 1992 D.E.F. cutter gave this character a little more muscle. And this 2nd version of the character became my default quite easily, and in thinking back, the 1984 figure just ended up floating around in whatever storage method I was using in the years since.

I did get the Shark 9000 around 1993 or 1994, most likely on clearance sale at that point. And most possibly at the Prange Way store that was shutting down in 1995 or so. Many good priced items bought at that place at that time. With the Shark 9000 came the recolored Cutter, and while I liked the green PFD and big gun, the white pants left me wanting something more.

And then I got the repainted ARAHC Cutter with the Night Landing Craft (N.L.C.), a vehicle which lost a lot of value to me when I learned that it (and the Cobra Mantis) were reused Johnny Quest vehicles. Even though they were decent vehicles, for me it was like picking out any old vehicle, putting a GIJOE label on it, and calling it a GIJOE vehicle. I might be a bit too picky or strange, too.

One of these days, I should bring up the topic of consistent hair color on Cutter, as well as other figures. A figure like Flint seemed to have no trouble staying consistent in various media and toy form. Cutter slides between a sandy blonde and extreme red head in figures, though. I suppose, it is possible depending on sun exposure, that the hair may take on a different tone..., perhaps a little more red in the summer?


I guess, while each Cutter figure has its own unique points that I like, I think the D.E.F. single version is just slightly my more favorite. Minimal white details aside, the guy has his ball cap, a not-so-obvious life vest, blue "coastie" pants, etc. He's also very buff, as a guy who would be boarding vessels at sea might have to get into some tight quarters for combat. Close combat. And he would possibly end up having to swim at some point.
The gun that this figure came with is kind of nice, too. It's not too big. The flashlight is kind of different, too, instead of the smaller ('87 style) flashlights, Cutters light pretty much could become a weapon in itself.
The grappling hook launcher (with lights!) isn't as important an accessory to me. It made me pass up some of these figures back in the day since their "gimmick" bumped the price up. The launcher is kind of interesting, though. I would expect to see something like this on a cutter or patrol ship.
And I could almost say I have a "Cutter Collection." Almost.

But, do I want Gungwreck? I shouldn't make bad humor like that, but really, some covers are unique looking, and that looks like Gung-ho to me still. Otherwise, had the head been a more Coast Guard looking ball cap, I think that figure would have sold me. Mostly for a removable life jacket. (I think of Marty McFly landing in 1955...)

If I trimmed all swivel heads out of my collection, having many Cutters would not be something I would have the, too.