About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

10.19.2010

Too much stuff, but can it be really be slimmed down?

After essentially turning the basement upside down, again, I find myself asking myself, what am I doing? I got a lot of stuff, but it's really not near as much as I could have, or have had!

It's also that line between having everything out, or put away. I would like to have it all out, but, it would simply be out getting dusty. If it is "away," the room becomes Rubbermaid container storage. And there is the ever-presence of the other people in the household, who I would like to share the basement space with. I also want to build a two-sided basement with a huge base for Cobra on one side, and Joe on the other, and a big "battle table" in the middle.

When I look at how many dreams, plans, aspirations, and other ideas that I have had and how far they got implemented, I wonder if I should just really trim everything (joe) down even further?

I try to think back to when I had the most fun with the Joes. Which, in some ways was almost all in the '80's into the early '90's. I had a big (for me) shopping spree from '94 through '99 with the original lines clearances, Street Fighter and other lines on clearance, and the '97/'98 TRU line. The 2000/'01 ARAH Collection line was pretty big for me, too.

Being more in college at the time (2000/'01), I think it would have been better had this line not been out. I was always working or going to school since '98, and it was a distraction to run up to Kmart to check out and see if there were any new or "on sale" Joes. It didn't help that in the Spring of '99 I discovered the Toy-Riffic store here in town, either. Another shopping distraction, but hey, how many times does one see a Terrordrome in a downtown shop window?

It was about this point in with the '97/'98/2000-'01 Joes that I think I had a pretty good time with them. I didn't have near the original figures that I have now, and getting these "new" joes with all the original accessories was huge for me. Add in that the uniforms colors sort of made a more "team" look, well, huge.

Now, most of my stuff was still packed up since leaving the parents, but having just a small box of loose Joes to toss up onto the shelf was where it was at. Still kind of sucks I lost Brehkov's hat in a dorm room. But, just a hand full of stuff, really.

Here at this point, I wonder if the "handful of Joes" is the most fun. Back in the day in the '80's and into the early '90's... I think the 1991 Snake eyes was my 50th Joe figure. Still roughly 25-some figures a piece for each team.

So, not an exact thought here in this HQ rambling, but, after this bit of though... can I reduce all my figures and vehicles even further?

Do I really need my X-30? Do I need an Arctic team? Does Col. Courage need to take up space at the HQ? Do I need three Sci-fi's, and which one stays?

I am contemplating which figures "could" go. I like the team depth, and many figures have their own unique things that I like..., but picking out just a handle full to keep over all the others? That's a hard thing to do, but maybe I should do it.

I could start with the leadership, but which HAWK would I keep?!