About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

10.26.2010

Favorite Dreadnok

From YOJOE.com forums, which is your favorite Dreadnok? I haven't over-analyzed the file cards lately on these guys, but, I think they're all fairly interesting, in an "other" than Cobra way.
Here's the Dreadnoks in the YOJOE ARCHIVES for your reference.

Right now, on the classic Dreadnoks, I'll have to edit this post for my favorite after I think about it some more. In some ways I'm leaning toward Zandar (the guy no one remembers), but what makes a good 'nok? Pirates, poachers, thugs, arsonists, assassins, wild childs,...what have you? I think of the Motor Viper file card, too, when it comes to Dreadnoks. The Motor Viper Corps attracts the type of individual who without a benefit of an education or ambition, would have joined the Dreadnoks. So, do Dreadnoks simply live for the thrill of the danger itself, in the moment?

Dreadnoks in my collection through the years.
If I remember right, Thrasher and the Thunder Machine, along with Zandar and Zarana were my first 'noks. These three figures have been in my collection since way back in the day. The Thunder Machine appealed to me in a somewhat Mad Max way, and it was often pitted against the Tiger Cat. Thrasher was a rather muscular bad guy with his stick, and along with Sea Slug was one of the "bigger" tough guys. Zandar and Zarana took on their color changing abilities on the window sill many times. These two were easily placed on the Dreadnok Cycle when I obtained one for my original collection, maybe the box illustration swayed me on that.

Next up, I inherited my best buds Buzzer and Zanzibar w/ skiff.I may have gotten an incomplete Road Pig 2nd hand through my best buds trade efforts with another kid.
I did buy the Ninja force Zartan off the shelf, which I do like, but had the green pants been blue jeans it would have been better. Not to mention anything but orange weapons and action gimmick. This was my Zartan for quite awhile, a figure I really wanted for the obvious reason of being Dreadnok leader.

That was pretty much the Dreadnoks for me from 1991 to 1999/2000-ish.

Since 2000 I have added the original Ripper, Torch, Monkeywrench, as well as the 2000 Zartan and '05(?) comic pack Zartan. Gnawgahyde joined the crew, still incomplete, as well, for $4.95

Interestingly, within the past 10 years I've bought a double of many Dreadnoks essentially upgrading to a nicer condition figure. I found these at the GIJoe convention in '05, and even locally at some pre-ebay explosion collector/ used video game toy shops. Figures that have been replaced with an upgraded version are Buzzer, Torch, Zanzibar, Road Pig, Zandar, and Zarana, and even Thrasher if memory is right. That's a lot of replacement, but I really have some nice figures.

More thoughts on Dreadnoks

Monkeywrench is a figure that really looks the part next to the original trio of Buzzer, Ripper, and Torch, with his blue jeans and tough looking build. I've found that the figure itself is really a solid figure with a great look and usability that I don't feel ever has been upgraded in a modern form. Monkeywrench really stands out to me in that way.