About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

6.14.2010

Storing Figures

With the scores of GIJoe figures in baggies, it's not as much fun to play or pose or...well, anything. They are well organized in the baggies and separated by year, so it is pretty easy to find something. It's rather tedious to search through the collection of figures however, and not as much fun. There's not as much "random" in the picking. I need to know "who" I am going to get as I open the rubbermaid containers before hand. And even then, I usually don't have a plan of action after that.

I did try some jumbo plastic drawers where everything was loose, the only categorizing factor was what the figures primary job figure was. Those drawers filled fast. But the potential danger of the drawer plastic affecting the figures, and the fact that they kept sliding around with accessories sliding all over just didn't scream fun.

As I look back on the organizing of little figures, I remember when they all fit into a small tin many, many years ago.
Then, into a small box with fold in tabs. And then they got divided into two boxes of Joe and Cobra, each starting to fill a Payless shoe box as each sides forces grew.
About the 100-150 mark I found a pair of matching cardboard boxes that weren't deep, but were somewhat square with a top lid that opened. I think that was pretty good.

I'd like to find a nice tackle-box like thing to store the figures in. Kind of a jumbo-jumbo-size action figure case. I haven't found any that would be perfect for the figures size, though. And it is hard to estimate if all the figures will fit, and if I will like it better than scores of baggies.

I did try a 30-drawer hardware organizer at one point. Perhaps that was back when I had about 30-50 figures. I can't remember, but the opening of the drawers individually were ok, but, still I needed to know what I wanted so I could look for it. So, while I have thought of gaining a big hardware organizer to take on all the figures...well, I'm not sure if I would like it.

I've also considered buying a hunting rifle case, and then somehow fabricating an inner dividing system, almost like the older tray-style Hot wheels cases had. I'm not sure exactly how I would make that, otherwise I probably would have already. I think it might be a good way to go, where it's portable, could be put away in a closet, opened for action fast with figures and weapons and all ready to go with no opening of small individual bags or compartments. I think a "small accessory" lock down holder would be good for those figures that need it, like the Frag Viper or Sub Zero. But that would only be in those figures slots.

And on slots, what's the fun way to organize GIJOE figures? I've got them by year now, but I think by environment or specialty is really the way to go. The Arctic figures are the easiest, in my opinion, so they would go in a section. Pilots are fairly easy, too. Aquatic type based guys are kind of easy, as well. Past that, one almost has to assign certain figures into their own departments in which that is how they will be thought of to be found.

Still, lots of considerations towards little plastic army men, where it's almost a job trying to figure out how to manage these guys! Perhaps Colonel Courage could get this organization thing in line!