About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

8.19.2012

The new AWE ninja cruiser striker

That's what I'm calling it.

Above is the new Retaliation take on the AWE striker, directly in front of my 2001 AWE Striker.  I was comparing how the overall shapes of the roll cages match up, and any possible overall visual feeling the new cage might give to the AWE.

For the $8.00, I think it was a very good purchase.  Of course, there are two things I don't like:
Just not my cup of tea, that's all.







A spot of interest that was hard to tell in pictures at first was whether or not the new Retaliation AWE roll cage panels were removable like on an old 1984 Stinger or 1984 VAMP II.  Of course, it is all one molded piece.
On the plus side of improvements, the new Retaliation roll cage does feel more sturdy to me with the center front bar, and the rear panels that rest on the rear fenders.  But at the same time, as you can compared in the pictures above, I don't think the panel really adds much more to the overall design.  Yes, it does make good contact with the fender, but there is that whole seat back area where the old cage attached with the antenna mount.  The new Retaliation panels seem to just float out there leaving an unresolved design point to me.

But that's a minor thing.




The new front brush/ light bar really doesn't add much for me on the new Retaliation AWE.  It was definitely important that the new front bars match the roll cage bars for that design-y connection, but at the same time, the new bars limit the steering gear in comparison to the older style light bar.

EDIT  :  After some playing, the new Retaliation brush bars are not entirely to blame for the stearing gear limitation, RATHER, it is the TIE ROD end pins which are longer on the Retaliation AWE. 





The panel details on the roll cage are convincing, especially on the back where one can just see the supposed material just drooping with its strap detail standing out.
I'm going to have to see if I can find some reviews of this ninja-AWE that have the explanations for the 4 hanger tabs on the back cage bar, too.  I suppose some weapon holders?






And while I'm thinking of the weapons, I really like the idea of a standing deck on the back of the Retaliation AWE, a really neat spot to put them, too.  I've had some ideas of trying this, mostly in my head where I would have went straight back off the rear fender instead, and then having a gun mount on the outside of either side of the cage (or straight up from the middle of the rear fender).

As is, the Retaliation AWE platforms make it a wide stance for any GIJOE gunner to stand on the center mounted spring fired weapon.

There's also a picture of the STARGATE All-Terrain Cruiser.  I had an Eco-Striker and this Stargate version for my first "AWE Strikers."  I just wanted the original, and I ended up putting the tan body on the Eco-Striker chassis so I could have that more military looking AWE.   The "one seat" Stargate chassis became the base for my "eco-striker" mix, then, that's why you see the "don't litter" sticker here.  And this is all off-point, but I wanted to show the rear deck of the Stargate chassis here.





I wonder if the powers in the design department were inspired by the spring-fired rocket armament of the All-Terrain Cruiser?




With so many AWE's out there, I've had my own ideas on how to improve on the old.   As much as I wouldn't mind a rear gunner seat, like a real world version of one of these buggy's, it just doesn't feel like it fits to me.

But there's plenty of ways to create something new off this very simple All Weather and Environment buggy.  The Retaliation toy has some good things, and some questionable things, but for the $8.00 and the intended rugged play due for this one, it is going to work well.