About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

2.14.2011

Zartan

Zartan(s).
This is my first full "pursuit of Cobra" figure, Zartan. I'm being very selective (or so I thought, more on that another time) when it comes to buying most anything modern these days. The PoC Zartan really seemed like he had a lot going for him that I could use.
Considering the modern movie Zartan was probably the more interesting character to me in that movie, but the figure wasn't that overly appealing. Even with the scary blades, I didn't see that figure mixing with my Dreadnoks. This latest version really said something different to me, though.

See the review of PoC Zartan at GeneralsJoes.com

Consider that the PoC Zartan here is now the "fourth" Zartan in my collection (all "newsculpt" are gone...). The very first Zartan I had was the 1993 Ninja Force version. This somewhat punk-biker version was the guy that was flanked by Zarana and Zandar back in my day, and not until 2001 did a more traditional looking Zartan jump into my collection. However this 2001 Zartan is more SAW Viper than Zartan and this figure has come close to becoming parts. Essentially this means that, yes, the '93 punk Zartan has been more my "default" Zartan for quite awhile. Not even one of those new sculpts versions swayed me away.
Even with the "ninja-action" waist, there is still plenty I like about the '93 Zartan. A little more road-warrior looking to me, had the colors been toned more matte, it would have been better. I think the head is still awesome, however much I would have preferred the mohawk and face-paint to be black, it's still a very tight design and really speaks more "dreadnok" to me than a hood. Plus, I always dug how the two knifes attached to the leg. Once again, I would have preferred these accessories in a black or silver, but that was always a nice feature I liked on this figure. Having a bow included may have been by chance, but it was about this time I was reading back-issue comics and learned of Zartan's mastery of the bow.
The 2001 version is a SAW Viper, even down to the huge machine gun. And while this figure hasn't gotten much attention to me, I have kept it over a couple of new sculpt versions. Did Zartan decide to become a machine gunner for a disguise? Who knows, but it is a somewhat original head and did have the old face mask disguise. I liked that, but, is he a SAW Viper with the disguise on? Was this to have been THAT particular SAW viper from the Marvel comics story that actually killed Joes? Once again, who knows.....
The next version of Zartan, which has become my more modern "default" is the comic pack Zartan. Now this guy has more of the original Zartan looking parts, and that may be why I like it. I like the shoulder and chest armor, that adds to the Dreadnok aspect of how I perceive Zartan, and he comes with a big bow, arrow, and quiver for accessories. And really, unlike the yellow boots on some some of these ARAH comic pack figures, Zartan has a really decent coloring. Not too comic-y or cartoon-y, but not to psychotic dark, either.
So, these three figures are what preceded my PoC Zartan purchase. And the GeneralsJoes.com review of the figure helped, too. Looking at the figure, PoC Zartan really brings in some old Zartan style into the figure.
Look at the arm/ elbow wraps, it reminds me of the 2001 version. And then think of how the two knifes fit on the '93 version and note how there are two (kinda) swords that attach to PoC Zartans belt. The face paint is more '93-style similar than '84-style on the PoC Zartan, but the plastic hood is even more flowing and elaborate than the comic-pack Zartan's style.
On accessories, the PoC Zartan has a more full on disguise, but on that assault rifle, it may be a stretch, but does it not seem to have that SAW vipers gun sight shape incorporated into the side attachment?
Some of it may be a stretch in what I'm seeing. Style-wise, there's a lot for me to totally like about PoC Zartan.
The bird and staff inclusion is a bit much for me, especially for a figure that wants to be disguised in the desert. Wouldn't you think? Although I do like some explanations on the Joe-boards where now in modern times we "find-out" that the old 1987 Raptor figure was really Zartan all along....

I'm not sure if I want to try to create "Sandstorm" right now. The goggles are very cool, though, and Tracker has been needing a pair. Tracker may take ownership of these, as a SEAL, he needs some gear, ya know. In the picture below, Zartan is using his really nice pistol, but also is showing why I don't really like the modern neck joint.
So far, I really like the style of the PoC Zartan. I'll probably keep the ARAH comic pack version figure as my "default," though. The PoC Zartan still doesn't feel as solid as an action figure could, joints are still "bumpy" in motion and I really think the ball-joint neck would work nicer on modern figures. Or, even better, combination of both! And I do not think an O-ring is the single factor separating classic figures from modern figures by any means. Good design always stands apart no matter what is underneath.
The assault rifle that was included with PoC Zartan came with a curve to it, too, and isn't this similar to the issue of accessories being banded to hands, deforming the plastic a bit from a few years back already?

Either way, I won't let small things get to me. PoC Zartan is still a pretty neat figure, and with so many disguises that Zartan has gone through, perhaps his original '84 file card hit it right on the head where the original personality is buried and forgotten....

Zartan may be the most fitting-est character to any incarnation of GIJOE in this respect. I can't wait to see the GIJOE: Renegades does with him!