About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

6.28.2011

Snake eyes

What can a person say about Snake eyes that hasn't been said before?

If it hadn't been for the Marvel GIJOE comic, I don't think the old cartoon would have put Snake eyes on my radar as much as he is. Back in the day, the 1989 Snake eyes became my first one. But even then, he was still just a commando with silent weapons to me. He was pretty much as the file card stated.

Over the years, his ninja connections were very much brought upon me through the Marvel comic book, as it wasn't until about 1992 (or later) that I started to pick up back-issues, or any issues for that matter.

It's amazing how seeing character/figure toys in action in comic or cartoon form really bring them to life. Even more than a strong personal inner imagination can.

Also, there's something about that launching point of creativity, where a certain amount of information is given, and then from there, a person, or a bunch of people can start to build upon it. I think that's what makes Joe fans so fun, we have a bit of a base we all can participate in to any degree, but then we can all interject our own imaginations and creativity on top of it.

Where Sci-fi (1986) was one of my most played with figures back in the day, and always on the scene of any imaginary battle, these days if there's any one figure that is always out in any figure mix I choose, it is Snake eyes. Sci-fi, however, has been very, very, rarely seen...
(I wonder if Sci-fi had been featured in the comic as much as Snake eyes, what would our imaginations have GIJOE looking like?)

Either way, I have amassed a few Snake eyes over the years.

And this is no where near the amount I could have accumulated, and no where near what other fans may have.

And I think they are all good figures. Perhaps with the exception of the '83-based figures, I can find something I like a lot about them all.



In some ways, if the clothes make the man, then the gear and weapons can even more define him.



And a wolf.

If you've seen me on the Joe forums over the years, you might know this picture or similar. It's pretty much been my "default" commando since 2004.
I can say I rather disliked the camo pants that originally came with him, but instead of painting, Night Fighter Guile from Street Fighter gladly donated the pants.

Despite the 1991 figure being light blue, and having orange-red weapons, I rather liked the "bulked up" muscular look combined with the rather soldier-looking vest. Some fans, and maybe most fans, will choose the '85 visor as the best head gear, but I think the goggles and face armor are a little more real-feeling. I can see how this gear stays on the guy, the visor....not so much. It is cool looking, though.

Like Battle Corps figures, many of the later RAH o-ring figures don't have anything unique about them for accessories. Among the mix of all those things that came out in the last ten years, there are a few of Snake eyes figures accessories that are available.

So, rather simply, I picked out weapons that (essentially) make Snake eyes.
I also gave him the rifle so he can actually become a team player and get into the infantry line. Snake eyes is not as rogue and independent of a character for me in my Joe-verse.

The man is still a super-skilled silent commando with ninja training, but he is still a soldier.