About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

6.24.2011

Cobra '92


Here's a bit of random. My collection of Cobra figures from 1992.

I'm starting to wonder if 1992 was the "worst" year in my opinion. I'm still pondering that notion of "the worst," I mean, I like pretty much all of it. But in my quest for finding a potentially smaller collection of figures, I have to evaluate what I like about the figures the most.

As for the Joes as of today, I only have one 1992 figure that is looking like he may be left in on that team. There will be more thoughts from me on that, I'm sure.

Right now it's Cobra, though.

This picture is actually from 2009, and below in italics is what I wrote about these figures back then:

1992 seems really slim for Cobra after I've broken it down by year releases.

And I'm not a ninja force collector, but I've really taken a liking to Slice and Dice. The pair almost have a TMNT-humor quality in their names. I still have fun with these without feeling like it's ridiculous. Slice being a swordsman, probably likes to slice people up...kinda almost mobster-like, trimming victims down like ham. Or Dice, being too evil for the Night Creepers, could be just a total street thug with more smarts (in that Night Creepers could be accountants, lawyers, etc.) and possibly even seemingly crazy. (as in a roll the dice wildly way)
Either way, Storm Shadow is a rogue-ish good guy in my world, so Cobra Commander really likes having this pair in his employ.

This was my first Firefly, too. I was kind of excited, and really liked his colorization in the marvel comic at this time, but the lime green didn't hold on me for this character. Even though I do like the mold, I would like to this one recolored at some point. It's a nice figure overall, and the rifle was one of my favorites for awhile despite the lime.

And the Eel falls right in there on the colors, too. Nice styling, and I like the idea of the razor fins, and the accessories overall weren't too out of place...if that yellow had been a maroon, or gray, or even purple, this would really be a nice figure. imo, anyway



And back into today I think most of what I said here is about how I feel about things now. However, in regards to Firefly, I may HAVE TO LIKE this figure. I'm heavily considering a "no swivel-heads" rule to my collection. Not that I hate them, but a little more articulation is always nice.

For me as an old-mold o-ring type of guy, well, other than this '92 Firefly, there is only the '84 Firefly (swivel head) to choose from right now. I figured my swivel head rule would apply to all, even the ones that were produced just a few years ago.

The Eel would be heading out the door, though. As I don't have any boats now, do I need a diver? It is a limiting restriction, but I may not have many (or any) sea battles ever again. I'm going airborne for movement.

And still not a huge ninja fan, but Slice and Dice will serve the Commander well!