About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

6.04.2011

Beachhead GIJoe Ranger


Beachhead has almost always been in the mix in my Joe-Verse since about 1992. This is a figure/ character that is very simply a special operations soldier through and through, a Ranger.

My best bud from back in the day had Beachhead originally. When it came to each of our respective GIJoe teams back then, I had Hawk as leader of mine, and he had Beachhead. How he arrived at that, not sure. But it makes sense considering the cartoon command rank scene back at this point in time where the chain of command dropped from Hawk, to Duke, to Flint, to Beachhead. Only thing that sucked about the figure was the crotch was broke. And so was a 2nd one that passed through my hands at one point.

Popularity-wise from what I've been exposed to, he's definitely up on the top tier, as well.

My first and only Beachhead for many years was that very figure that was my best buds (and I think it was one of the last figures he held on to before letting me have it). As a Ranger all geared up for battle, Beachhead was used quite a bit over the years. His rifle is really simple and fits most play set ups as to me Beachhead was a rifleman. Not a special weapons gunner, or mine detector, or rescue trooper. No, to me, Beachhead was pretty much the soldier depicted in the file card.

Another aspect of the figures design that I like from 1986 is the extra clips of ammo on the vest as well as an extra bag of ammo. And the backpack has all sorts of neat things molded into it that can keep a person pondering what they could be for a while.

Now, the 1986 Beachhead was THE Beachhead for me until the 2004 Night Force re-issue came out. I bought that pack and I still think it was a very nice set, as much as Action Man should have been left as Tracker. But, really, it was Beachhead just like 1986 just newer! So, this became my most used Beachhead figure since about that point. And technically twice since the same figure came with the 2005 Moray. One thing about all the multi-oring-packs that I liked was that sometimes I could make the original gear with whatever got thrown in some of those (namely Beachheads backpack).


I can't remember how I got this 1993 version (pictured below), but I think it was a trade within just the last couple years. (what does it say about me that I can't remember?)

I've always liked the Battle Corps molds, the ones many other fans might not like at all. Mostly the coloring was pretty wild in some cases, and I'll agree on some figures. But not on this first release of the 1993 Beachhead. In fact, that green that is on the figure is almost exactly the same shade of green that is on the 1986 figure.

Yeah, the blue does seem a little out of place, but twin sidearm holsters on the legs and a tactical vest are pretty nice features. But what really helps make this "updated" Beachhead, Beachhead, is that his original head cover is really still under the helmet and behind the goggles.

So, if you're following how my collection of figures might be getting trimmed, Beachhead brings another challege..., which one to pick?
I was heavily leaning toward the 2004 Night Force version, but after sitting down and comparing all three, the 1993 version is starting to sway me a little bit more. I mean, it's a nice figure, and being a Battle Corps figure means "no unique accessories" for the most part to me. And it's a figure that does have some detail that makes me think of the 1986 version, but gives him some head and eye protection for when he is taking on either that airborne or amphibious assault trooper role. Or light infantry operations?
Only down side is that my figure does have some discoloration.

Which one would you pick?

As for Beachhead the character in general, I think that he is one SO close to being always in a list of figures for almost any reason..., very, very popular.
As I was searching for what other people have put up on Beachhead, I was checking out a section of YoJoe.com that I really haven't before: Feature Character Spotlight. This really is neat and helps fuel my imagination!