About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

12.23.2012

The kre-o joe to come...

Lego is pretty big at the HQ, not so much because of me, but because of the junior joes here.  Which brings me to be fairly excited about the KRE-O sets that look to be coming out in just a couple months.  A few Transformers sets were introduced here at the HQ already, but they didn't get too far in their builds before being scattered and mixed among the spread of Legos* in the junior joes quarters (thanks in part to clandestine operations with other little joes....).

Either way, I thought the mini-figures for the Transformers were kind of cool.  We have a few Star Wars Lego mini-figures here, too, and while I like classic Lego mini-figures quite well, the new mini-action-figures really bring some avenues for personalities to be injected into the realm of the brick world.  Well, for me, anyway.  Compare to the Lego sets I had back in the day when every figure was a smiley happy nameless guy.   The all blue with blue race helmet guy was THE guy, and the all black with white helmet guy was like THE sort of villain.  In between the hospital, the police station, and the gas station sets, there weren't too many more strictly Lego adventures in comparison to GIJOE, M.A.S.K., He-Man, or other character/ figures line that I had back in the day.   The biggest Lego conflicts back in the day were when the Transformers were attacking the Lego people.  (Yes, GIJOE WAS there!)

But now it looks like I get consumer-ability to infuse GIJOE right into Lego scale, and while I don't like to mix toy lines or scales much, this won't be too much of a stretch for me, and will be much fun for the junior joes.

From what I've seen covered on many sites, like GeneralsJoes.com, it looks like a lot of fun stuff.  Familiar characters with familiar looking gear and even vehicles and base building kits that have such familiar designs to them.  Just looking at this picture of what is the TTBP, and other 82-83-84 toys just looks fun!  (and if the TTBP gets destroyed, we can rebuild!)

At this scale I wouldn't feel too bad about over-accumulating, either.  The vehicles and bases and other inter-figure-play expansiveness just seems like something I would enjoy, and the scale isn't going to swamp whatever space the HQ occupies like a 1/18th scale could.  But most of all, it's these things that are familiar to me, but fun for the junior joes, and best of all:  I won't have to worry about a 30-year-old figure or toy getting worn-out, or worse.









*Selling off the major portions over time of my GIJOE collection has greatly helped covering the cost of these!