About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

6.24.2012

The Rise of Cobra....

I was just watching a showing of the Rise of Cobra on the TV last night. I guess this would be the third time I've seen it.   Well, I didn't see all of it last night, I just couldn't get into the film.

I didn't have too high of hopes for the RoC originally.   I approached the film with a very open mind, I stayed away from any information on the film before I saw it, from spoiler threads, or even just opinions of the film.

I don't think it is a horrible film, but even from a stand alone movie, I just don't find it all that exciting.

The nanomites are a neat plot device, but I think the MARS undersea base was just too big, as was GIJoes Pit.  The underwater training facility in the pit was too unbelievable for me. 

The neo-Viper angle was something that needed more emphasis, too.  Sure, we had the Cobra bite demonstration, but really, would they all go down to the elevator to line up and have a guy demonstrate that whole bit?   I mean, isn't their a lab, next to the armory for issuing those (kinda cool) helmets?
Explaining these Neo-vipers is something that a couple of added film skirmishes could have explained to us, the audience, better.   Instead of the, "these are super soldiers now" demonstration, I'd rather see them in action, bad guys being battle by the 'Joes.   Or something.

I thought the "Paris pursuit" chase was too long, the accelerator suits being something that just didn't add anything to the movie for me at all.  (On the plus side, the Cobra Hummer, was one of the more movie-accurate movie toys in awhile.)

I think the film would have been a lot more interesting if the Duke and Baroness love story was toned way down, possibly eliminated.  I think "Rex" could have ended up the same way with his evil doctor persona simply by having an intense desire for the sciences, but having to be forced to serve the military for his interests.  If anything, I would think a prior unit relationship would have been all it took as a background past for these characters.   The Baroness could have been a much more developed character all around.  

Still after the third (partial) viewing of this film, I just couldn't get into it.  I mean, my imagination is not getting kicked in to play on this universe.

Still, I like Zartan.  

And we still have 2009 movie figures hanging at Walmart here.