About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

4.14.2012

Spearhead


Spearhead E-4
MOS: Infantry SMOS: Finance



Above is a picture from 2009 of my "desert squad." My "department" project around that time in 2009 consisted of dividing my team up into specific categories with a goal of being able to have an easier time grabbing certain figures for certain play missions. I wanted to make things more efficient so I could have more fun, essentially (versus my "cataloging" of figures by year, in plastic zip-bags).

But all that organizing still didn't make it much more fun for me. Plus, life in general takes up a lot of time, and that's simply less time to have fun with 'Joe. So, my collection is now a lot less at this point in 2012. (As of now, I can't say if it is proving to be as fun as I would like to it to be, though.)


I chose 28 as the number of GIJoe members to be my team limit on figures. If you read through most of my more recent posts, you've probably figured that out. I've also been taking a look at which GIJOE character/ figures I chose lately as you likely noticed, as well.




Spearhead is a figure that was SO close to not being kept. He was sitting on my "B team" (I had two 28-man teams made up for 56 total at one point in the decision process) for the longest time. Also, when it comes to GIJoe and my play imagination, I really prefer 1980's woodland camo over desert tan. However, since I kept three of my five 2009 "desert squad" figures, one would think that not to be the case.

But in the end, when it came to it on deciding which one or the other to keep, it was really one in one hand, and one in the other hand in many cases.

Spearhead was a figure that really felt really solid and fun. And the more I played with the figure in the final moments of deciding, the more interesting the figure became. Plus, this very figure is in excellent shape, where another figure was maybe just a little less in good shape; so that definitely factors in here, too.

Until that point, I think the most I used Spearhead was in some desert mission set-up or two, really. I got Spearhead in trade back in about 2004 or 2005 from possibly the closest collector I know of in these parts down in La Crosse.


One of my favorite things about Spearhead is his rifle.

The rifle holds well, I think it is appropriately sized, and with the two different sized ammo clips it makes a very interesting gun. But the best part of that rifle is the bayonet, the hand grip is great. If that knife was removable, I bet it would have been a more talked about accessory over the years.
The backpack is orange, as is the camo that is all over Spearhead, and while it's not my favorite part of the figure, I don't think it is too bad.

I think the machete is kind of odd, though. Compare it to the Muskrat (1988) machete and it looks like a ceremonial sword. (when I had the 2002 Serpentor and Shock Viper, I used the re-issue of the machete that came in that two-pack as a ceremonial sword)


Other than that, Spearhead has many pouches on the arms and legs, but everything else is pretty slim. From the lower arm guards to the trim boots.

Spearhead is kind of simple in form, almost a straight B.D.U. with a (armored?) vest on top. I like that style. Unlike a figure that's all armored up like Fast Draw, or has some heavy ammo strapped around the body, or is really environment-dedicated like a snow trooper or diver, Spearhead feels like he can be more versatile than some of these figures with his overall design form.


The helmet seems to stand a little high to me sometimes, and I've thought about trying to find a replacement for my play missions. When I was playing and considering on keeping Spearhead, it wasn't until I had the helmet off that the figure really started to stand out to me.


I was trying to avoid animals, too, in my small collection. I'm not sure if I'll use Max, but I don't want to break up the "set," you know? Max is the only animal on my 'Joe team right now.


Another aspect of Spearhead is the almost "blank slate" the character has. Here is a file card that could be interpreted in a couple ways; a natural, persuasive leader who gets results. Or a guy who maybe got too greedy with his insurance sales and is guilt-ridden?

Who knows?

Check out JMM's for more on comic appearances!