About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

4.16.2012

Desert Fox 6 W.D.


The GIJoe Desert Fox is a vehicle that I first had possibly as far back as 1998 initially (an early eBay auction win, actually, that came with a complete Hydrofoil, and the price was great.). This first one was in great shape, and somewhere along the years I picked up a second one which had no antenna and a snapped steering axle.

Before either of those I had the Dinohunter set, though. Did you know despite the turret change with the Flak Viper back pack launcher weapon, you could still put a Desert Fox gun on it? (I think I picked up that Dinohunter set on clearance way back in the day, once again, the price was great!)

Back in 2005 all three of these six-wheeled vehicles were traded or sold away. I'm not a huge fan of desert tan, and favored the AWE Striker and VAMP-style "jeeps" more at that time. (Not to mention the Jungle Strike Humvee)

With my small team of 28 figures, though, I got to thinking I could use something other than another AWE Striker in my motor pool. In fact, I even got to thinking that I only needed one AWE Striker. And then as I thought about it, I really like GIJoe vehicles that have actual steering wheels.

Well, the Desert Fox has returned to my motor pool after years of absence. I'm starting to remember some of the things I didn't like about the vehicle now, but I'm also discovering the potential to have this vehicle become a huge staple of collection in the future (which is why I brought it back in).

The rear of the Fox has a technical station of some sorts. I like it, but at the same time, I don't. It kind of blocks out the rear deck and reduces the versatility of a potential payload. At the same time, though, it really gives the Fox the ability to be a long-range operating vehicle with its own technical/ communication station. This is something that my GIJoe team can use.


I've wondered if the turret is supposed to be a rear-ward facing armament that is only used when the vehicle is stationary? I've spent some time trying to find some real life vehicles that may have served as inspiration for the Desert Fox. But either way, the turret doesn't have any ammo on it, and it has a huge surface under the handle that seems like of empty. And around the turret there seems to be a lot of extra space that kind of goes to waste, like that rear inner fender where you can see the rear wheel through that space. I mean, why not a small rack to place some rifles? With the range of the gun, I can see why so many antennas get a bend to them, though.


The thing that bugged me about the Fox was the towing ability, and I just reminded myself of that when I put the 2004 Whirlwind on the hitch.



Or, I should say how I didn't put it on there. I think it was the Night Rhino that had a low rear hitch, too. I had this Whirlwind when I had my first Desert Fox many years ago, and I forgot about this.

It's an interestingly shaped rear bumper, too. I almost kind of wish there was a rear troop deck (like an '84 Stinger) on here.


There's also an interesting amount of details all across this vehicle that match up with that rear inner fender detail. I guess I would call them unfinished (?) details on this vehicle.

Like the "lightning" head lamps. Back in the day, before referencing the instructions, I thought these were air intakes. But this is one of those points of detail that I may be able to add to when I get the chance. Like some clear plastic to simulate the lens, like the AWE or VAMP. I just am undecided right now on angle of placement in there. I was hoping to find some real life off-road vehicles that had similar head light arrangement, but haven't yet.


The armored radiator makes me want to cut out each of those slots and put some wire grill detail behind them, too.


I've wondered about the high (armor) piece that essentially rises up and effectively blocks the front seat views of the road. There's a very tall dash inside, and cutting that down wouldn't make much sense. Should I install a periscope style feature for frontward viewing?
There is also an intriguing detail on that dashboard piece that makes me think there was originally some doors that were going to be on this vehicle, like those slots are where the hinge would have been.

I hope if someone has some declassified old prototype information on the Desert Fox, it will see the light of day at some point and some of these features might be explained.

As it is, I think the Desert Fox has the potential to be a great "Joe" version of a humvee in regards to versatility in configuration. Like, as is, we have an anti-aircraft version.

Hopefully I'll get around to tricking out this 6WD at some point, but right now with life, it's hard to say when that will happen for sure.