About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

9.13.2010

New VAMP and The Corps!

I was heavily thinking I should add the new VAMP to my motor pool, but not so much now. Had my truly local Walmart or Kmart been stocked with these (or any Joes other than RoC movie figures*), I probably would have bought the VAMP. As it is not, I did not succumb to my "just seen it in action shots on the internet and want something new" impulse buy.

As I see more shots of the new VAMP, much like the 2010 HISS, I'm underwhelmed. I also think it looks very much too similar to The Corps vehicle that I have seen on the shelves locally for many years it seems. I like the ATK weapons better by far, too.

I really like the internet for Joe collecting, this is a great resource for lots of input. General Hawk has a review posted, and there is a awesome information with a lot of really good critical discussion on the VAMP on various boards. The pictures, poses, and comparisons, all of it, were really helpful in my decision making on getting this.


*RoC movie figures are currently "on clearance" for near $10 a piece here!! All wave 1....

Or, NOT getting this, actually.

I think it seems like a ton of fun toy, but I don't think it's a good fit for my motor pool. The VAMPs lack of doors, blobby weapons, unrefined (yet still awesome looking) winch claw, and unfavorable undercarriage mold color choices shut my excitement down.

It seems a nice truck that won't add anything unique or special to my collection, essentially. And it's kind of surprising to me that my initial excitement (which was VERY< VERY HIGH), like that of the 2010 HISS, dropped off SO fast once more people were able to give input. I feel let down, and maybe it's the wanna-be designer in me, but even without in-person viewing, both the VAMP and HISS seem like GREAT STARTS, but ho-hum sales-shelf finished products.

Looking briefly at the JOEDIOS site, I think I would have liked to see something more along the lines of any number of these customs. I like this one quite a bit, or the one right next to it. A 4 seater VAMP is nice, but this new one lacks, what I guess I would call, refinement.