About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

2.26.2011

Iron Grenadiers pt. 2

From part one, I've been taking a stroll down memory lane while taking a look at one of my favorite parts of GIJOE, the Iron Grenadiers.

The DEMON (Dual Elevating Multi-Ordinance Neutralizer) is up next. There are strange vehicles, and really this is a strange tank. Or, would you call it a tank?
This particular DEMON is one I found at a flea market along with an X-19 back in about 1995/1996. When I found the DEMON it only had the missiles. Every red part, and the docking port gun was missing, and for ten years was still incomplete. With the help of many online traders and a last minute find at the 2005 GIJOE convention, the DEMON is now back in fighting form!

The Ferret is the driver, and really matches well in uniform with both Destro and the Iron Grenadier, but he brings in the khaki pants. It works well enough for me, I'm happy they weren't gold pants! The Ferret really packs in most of the interest in his helmet design and whatever technology gizmo thing that is on his upper chest. The helmet really lookes heavily armored to me, unlike a standard Cobra Viper with faceplate, the Ferret almost looks Iron man-ish in this area.
And a Ferret can use that armor especially if he gets stuck on the rear gunner position of the DEMON. In this picture the Ferret has his hands on the nearest controls pegs for that rear gun, and yes, he sticks out. I forgot about this aspect of the DEMON until I starting playing with it for my little write up. A figure could easily stand up, turn forward and man that big gun on the top of the tank, too. Is that the way it is supposed to work? I would think a gunner or all the crew would be wanting to be protected under armor, but, maybe not in this case? What do you think about this?
The "backwards" gunner spot really reminds me of the Cobra STUN, mostly since it also has a rear gunner station, and extra seat.
The rest of the crew area doesn't take up much more room. In my imagination, I would have the side ways facing seat, one that also has an "open" window facing the weapons bank, be the spot that that very "weapons bank" be operated from.

That's six big missiles from where the DEMON can assault land and air targets it seems (TRI-C.A.A.A.A.P missiles....is that the longest acronym in Joe land?). And then the triple-barreled cannon that has a full range of motion on its own independent cradle. That's why I call this a "weapons bank."

And what's kind of cool about the DEMONs missiles, and this carries over to many classic "ARAH" vehicles, is the ability of the missiles to be used on other vehicles. A feature I forgot about until just taking a look at the DEMON for this write up is that the DEMON missiles have that slot that isn't needed for use with the DEMON itself.
Yes, it fits right on the A.G.P. and matches color nicely!
Even Darklon can get some use out of the DEMON missiles.


Having a crew of three is nothing unheard of for a tank. I think the DEMON driver has the best spot, though. The spot with the most armor! Now, the driver not only has a big "infrared" light bar in front, there is also that big red light box which on the blueprints make it a high-intensity spotlight and solar collector (this is my most unused feature on the DEMON, though). Destro, ahead of his time on battlefield energy conservation, huh? So, the driver has some technology all around him, and nose-to-nose, I think an edge on the HISS tank.

Very much so. While the HISS has the narrow shape making it less of an easy target head-on, the DEMON is not much longer or that much taller. Well, in normal configuration.

As you probably already know, the treads can be brought inward together. I like the extra details that were placed under the DEMONs hull. Even pointless details like this make it much more interesting to look at, especially when the DEMON has the ability to raise up so much higher in the air.
Why does a DEMON do this? Maybe so it can ride in low behind protective obstacles, spring up and strike? Perhaps it is a feature that enables water crossings? Perhaps this is simply to mow down anything in the way, letting the wide treads chew through anything under the tank? No matter what, it's a feature that adds just another dimension of play. Perhaps Destro knew that Cobra Commander would make a Strike HISS and even the HISS V (2010)!?

All in all I think this is kind of a fun tank. Even with my traditional thinking with a grown-up brain, where the Equalizer is much more my minds definition of a tank, I still enjoy the DEMON. While the DEMON has some visual weight to it, it really is a pretty "light weight" vehicle. Two sets of treads, the "weapons bank" and the crew compartment make up the bulk of the vehicle.

Heck, my imagination almost sees a space ship in the thing, much like that Star Trek Borg ship (not the Cubes or Sphere, but that rogue one...). If the treads weren't keeping it down I'd give it thrusters and start taking on Star Wars pod racers. I also see a little F-117A stealth fighter in it.

Not a very traditional tank, what do you think about it?


Other than the vehicles, the first year of Iron Grenadiers really only had two single release figures. Here they are with their accessories.

More to come in Iron Grenadiers part 3....


Other peoples stuff on the Iron Grenadiers (these are not mine is what I'm saying!):
JMMs information on the DEMON in comics!
a custom DEMON
JBLs views
Joecustoms Spin Doctor's modern I.G.s
Violent fix
GIJOE Club Nullifier
OAFE Sigma six I.G.
Spytroops Iron Grenadier