About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

8.21.2016

Battle Corps Major Bludd

I was back in the old big city to attend a High School reunion this past weekend.   Since it was an even number and double digit, I thought I would make this one count (missed others due to "junior Joes," jobs, or other priorities.).   I didn't have any expectations, considering having almost zero contact with anyone back in that big city since we all graduated.   For the few hours I was there, it was fun...., and could have been more fun, but like always, real life has priorities.

A rather huge highlight for me on this trip back to the big city and probably just as strong of a reminiscing of the old days was a trip to what was sort of the local comic book store.   Today, the store exists with a new mix of things such as Magic, sports cards, comics, and such.    I went there with the intent of letting the "Junior Joe" look at stuff, but I found a few things, too.

This is the way I used to find G.I.Joes back in the day that were older.  Usually on the random,  I might have found a figure bagged loose, and forget most accessories.   At this former comic book shop haunt, there was a Skystorm on a small shelf up in a corner, too.   Ambush was seated inside it, but the yellowing, heavily super-glued front cannon, '92 HQ missiles hanging on the back, etc., was a bit much for $30.   But I got see a Skystorm for the first time in person.

There were more G.I.Joe comics on hand than I would have thought, but still only about 25 issues spread out between all series, European Missions, and DDP, included.
Now, I couldn't remember which exactly I needed, since I haven't looked at my G.I.Joes much since this last winter broke, but I chose these two issues.   And when I got home, yeah, I had one already. 




There were about a dozen A.R.A.H. figures in a cardboard flat, too.  Most had significant play-wear with no accessories.    Even a B.A.A.T. was in the mix, and if the paint wasn't in such a poor condition, that one would have fit in with my H.Q.'s collection.

The only figure that really looked in decent shape was Battle Corps Major Bludd. I have my favorite Major Bludd already, and in my little collection, Major Bludd 2000 has taken on the imaginative role of an independent mercenary.   This imaginative role is where my mind stuck the character of Bludd when I was trimming my collection years back.   Bludd, as a character, seemed like one that wasn't trustworthy enough to be part of Cobra Commanders team, but not completely traitorous...., more just a complete scoundrel who works for the highest dollar.

Let's open up this bagged figure.   Just this method of opening an old figure brings back a lot of memories of High School years.  I remember seeing this figure on the pegs, but I never did snag it.    I can't recall why I chose others over this one at that time.  Maybe this figure sold out before I had the opportunity?  

Maybe this very figure is actually one I saw on the shelf way back in the day?  (How wild would that be?!)



I like the coloring, nothing too outlandish, really.   The legs, especially the lower parts, boots in specific, really stood out to me after I held them as the legs of the 1991 Toxo Viper.   All of the Eco Warriors are gone now, but these were fun in their own way, and I actually wanted to army build the 1991 Toxo Viper.
On Major Bludd, though, I really don't like that padded waist piece.  Padded or painted waist pieces on many figures have started to seem more like superhero underwear costume to me as I get older.   On the Toxo Viper I think it works, it's an environment protection piece (likely the only part of that Vipers gear), but on Bludd, I would have rather had more regular pants.



So, after decades of playing with G.I.Joe figures, staring at figures in inserts, backs of packages, catalogs, on the internet, in collector books and guides, I never noticed this elbow detail!

Any time I discover something new, on a decades old toy, I'm like....well..., cool.   Did you know this figure had this type of elbow joint?    Perfect detail for a slimy mercenary.   I wonder how many of these figures have this piece broken off during play, or how much frustration this detail caused with putting this guy in vehicles?

And actually, this figure to me represents some in toy form progression of the Bludd Character.   Many people have taken the '83 Bludd figure arm to be that of robotic or prosthetic.  Me, I think armored sleeve for a character 12-inch rockets.    And here, years later, the character of Bludd looks a little more close quarters combat ready.



A pretty cool battle helmet but not much more detail throughout the rest of the torso.  The coloring and overall bulk of the torso really reminded me of Dice. Not exact, but was it a originally a ninja design for '95?   (No dog tags?)   I also had the Python Patrol version of Bludd that used this head, the only figure that I've had with this head, and while I really loved Zaps body use on that figure (Zap was trimmed out here, I regret that choice a bit), I chose the 2000 figure since it wasn't a pythonized uniform (the brown giving a sense of independence and non-alliance, much like the sense I get from the 1983 figure).


 Of the Bludd figures I trimmed out of my collection, the Skull Squad figure was one.   When I had this Bludd, I also had Long Range that mentally stood out to me as I had been heavily focused on building a vehicle team at a point.   Unique characters and costume that were rather randomly repainted or used because the mold was on hand is a method that really started to disinterest me around  2006.  Even then, for me it got to a point where, wow, I was paying over $20 for a nicely repainted frankenfigure.   Skull Squad Bludd was fine, but the red detail made no sense, and Long Range was just too visible to me here, and I really like Long Range's sculpt.


 (Avalanche's body made his troops look pudgy.)







So, what to do with this Bludd now that the purchase was made for that trip down memory lane?


Where does Major Bludd fit in your Cobra organization?  Or maybe Bludd is on his own terms your collection?