About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

7.27.2012

Serpentor and mothballed memories

Hawk was around since the beginning, but the 1986 figure is THE figure that became my mental take on the character of Hawk.

In 1986, we also have Serpentor, the Cobra Emperor!

The king snake made his appearance as a toy in that year of 1986, as well as in both comic and cartoon.  Cobra Commander faded into the background in some ways, except for that 1987 battle armor Cobra Commander.

I ended up with a second-hand battle armor Cobra Commander back in the day, but I just couldn't accept that figure as Cobra Commander after years of the hooded villain and/ or the man in the battle mask.

But, really Serpentor was king, but now that we're so far down the line of years in these modern days, we've only really seen homage figures and reincarnated comic characters.  The guy never really replace Cobra Commander, did he? 

In my own JoeVerse up until a short time ago, before my big collection trim, Serpentor was the head of my version of a Coil group.   My Coil group was essentially where all the usurpers and other odd bad guys were put, more or less.

But in my scaled back JoeVerse these days, Serpentor (and my made up Coil) are all gone.   Only my original 1986 figure remains as that representation of my old childhood collection.  A non-active figure, which rests alongside my original childhoods Hawk figure.  

These two figures represent the "way back in the day" for me, and along with my very first vehicle, the Cobra FANG.   These three items are nostalgic in some ways, and I don't see them getting much play time.

Things for the box ....