About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

3.20.2011

X-30


The Conquest X-30 is my premier attack/ fighter jet here. The 1986 Conquest was my first Conquest (fun fact, that goop around the "eyes" on there is where I spilled fake blood on it back in the day). This version of the X-30 that I have is from 1998. While I never did buy the original Python Patrol Conquest, I did buy the 2003 version when that came out.

My original X-30 is a vehicle I had since at least 1987, but when I made my draw down on vehicles I decided one X-30 should be sufficient, so the other two had to go. Nostalgia got kicked in the knee with my decision to keep the 1998 release, though. The 1998 has a great coloring, black missiles, and little improvements that made the canopy connection hinge much better, as well as some refining in the landing gear.

I kept my original Slipstream, however. Here's a figure that has been more or less limited to being a pilot. I can't recall having him do much else, even back in the day. Decent enough, and he really fills my personal connection back to my original X-30.

Truth is, I bought the 2003 X-30 mostly for the Slipstream figure that was included with it. I don't know why. The sound attack on the 2003 X-30 really made me not want that plane, even though it does have a pretty nice camo style on it otherwise. The 2003 Slipstream is the active figure in my Joeverse, he's the pilot. Pair him up with Ace, the figure that came with that 1997 A-10 Jet and it really makes me wish for a two-seater X-30. As is, I'm considering trying to snag the new Skystriker coming out this fall so Ace will have a proper fighter. As much as I do not need another fighter.

But, I have to consider that I do have extra pilots around. I do have an X-19, but I'm considering trading that rebuilt craft in. And I do not have a Vector, nor am I about to get one, but I do have Ghostrider and Maverick available for some flight time. Perhaps a new Skystriker would be a good buy?


As much as I like a lot about the X-19, for me, my X-30 is small and fast enough to take on any air and ground opponents that may come up against it. I think with the X-19, it seems a little more "bomber" like. The cruise missiles in themselves could come from anywhere, that's a role the RPV could really fill in some aspects. Or even that imaginary attack sub just off shore that is able to assist the Joes on missions....

I think the little fighter, the X-30 is plenty good for my Joeverse. It has 4 missiles, 2 drop tanks for extended missions, but it still has that simple dogfighting aspect: guns! The twin nose guns are a detail that I've enjoyed, this bird is gonna get right up close to the action!