About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

1.09.2011

Desert Striker

A desert mission sometime in 2004








These pictures make me want it all
back now, possibly my only desert
mission here, ever.






The raft was launched from the WHALE for a desert rescue mission.






DESERT STRIKER

I'm still pretty keen on vehicles, back when I made the decision to reduce my motor pool, I had to really sit down and decide what I liked. If I had 2, or 3, or 4, of something that had essentially the same base, I made myself choose one.

See the GeneralsJoes.Com Review of the Desert Striker!

The Desert Striker was one of those vehicles that was cut. Not so much because I had one VAMP too many, but more because I like "green" more. I'm talking the old woodland camo "green," or as close to olive drab as it gets. Cutting the desert tan out of the collection is ultimately what happened, even though I do still have the Mean Dog.

In a lot of ways I liked the Desert Striker, it switched up the original VAMP quite a bit, not as successfully as the 2004 VAMP, though, which is the one I picked to keep; for a while longer anyway, it's green!

No "top" kind of bugged me on the Desert Striker, too. It is the desert, the sun is hot and the nights are cold after all. So, I made a small custom fabric top. I wanted to sew it on, and do some canvas-looking side parts, as well, but my laziness and cheapness eventually led to me just hot-gluing the top on. It wasn't as refined looking as I wanted, but I did like it.




The front cargo boxes on the nice new big bumper was really kind of cool, too. Add in the passengers machine gun, which was kind of my favorite "update" on this model. The little gun and launcher was ok, but the back end is where the Desert Striker really failed for me. There's plenty of roll cage going over the back but not a lot there. The "mine dumping cans" were not horrible, but that really limited the play value in my mind. I would have had more fun with extra fuel cans, a troop deck, or at least a gun and backpack cage.

There could have been much more done with the Desert Striker, but it's still a pretty decent VAMP. Ultimately I chose to have NO VAMPs since Stingers are so obviously the same thing. But, the 25th Anniversary rolled in and the 25th VAMP was heavily suggested so I do have that now.