About HQ icebreaker

My photo
This is a very random bunch of thoughts based from my collecting of GIJOE: A real American hero figures and vehicles. Contained here are memories, experiences, recent thoughts, completely random thoughts, and other random things on top of that. While one company has made, and makes, our shared interests, we all add into that interest with our own creativity. You, the reader, will find many, many, excellent sites among the links to see what other GIJoe fans are doing, hit them up! For GIJOE stuff that is more random in topic, you'll find it here.

6.13.2010

Big Boa



I like the "named" Cobras quite a bit.
Big Boa is a guy that, to me, has so much more potential than just a Cobra Trainer.

I view the Vipers as rather well-trained, motivated, and very well-equipped. This is based somewhat on the 1986 Viper file card.

To be well-equipped, I think Destro very much helped Cobra early on as a Weapons Supplier. Cobra pays better than most. And the good training has to come from someone who is an expert. To me, that "expert" is Big Boa.

Rather than just a trainer, I wanted to see Big Boa out in the world as a Cobra commando, of sorts. An "anti-Snake eyes," if you will.
I just used parts, I haven't done well with paints in that I don't like the tacky feel that is my result on that method. On the left, the HEAT Viper version 2 torso had the physically strong look that I mixed on the somewhat armored legs of the few Mirages I had laying around at the time. It was close, and I liked the look, but I went with a totally different direction after I found some of the later TRU exclusive arah mutli-packs not as fun.

So, my "anti-Snake eyes" Big Boa really came about after picking up the Night Fighter Guile figure. The vested torso was very bulky and felt good with the arms. I like the look of the '91 Duke, and totally dig the vest on that figure, but the arms can't go to the sides on that guy...why I dislike that one...and that dislike carried over to the Desert Patrol Stalker. It looks great, but the arm movement bugged me. And as I slowly disliked most of the Anti Venom and Desert Patrol offerings, I thought Dukes legs would help bulk up my Big Boa commando figure.

So the figure on the right is where I have my non-trainer Big Boa. Yes, that is an American flag belt buckle, and I can totally see Big Boa being a former soldier or Marine ( I think it gives him a little "anti-Duke" personality, as well). I can also see Boa joining a PMC at some point for more money and power, and that is the core of my Cobra forces main goals. Perhaps he started as a Viper but surpassed everything Cobra could toss at him prior to 1987.

I kind of imagine the helmet as his own personal field battle helmet with its own HUD and comm. gear, and well as built-in imaging capability and limited hostile environment capability. This guy has to be a good survivor to hang out with Vipers, in my mind.

I think "the Plague" was an alright idea both for the toys and the DDP comic. I think a combat version of Big Boa would have been a good choice for that team, or even the DDP Phoenix Guard. But Boa usually gets written off by most, which is just fine, as that is something one can do with ones own "Joe-verse."